Women's rugby dominates U of T

Alexandra Reilly

Alexandra Reilly

Assistant Sports Editor

A blowout was what the McMaster women’s rugby team saw a year ago when they faced the University of Toronto Varsity Blues.

A repeat was definitely what the team hoped for, and that is exactly what they got.

The Marauders travelled down the Q.E.W. on Sept. 21 to face the Blues in the legendary Varsity Stadium.

Right from the get-go, the Marauders were in control, dominating in all aspects of the game.

They would eventually hand Toronto another absolutely crushing loss as they took the game 71-0.

“This past weekend we had the opportunity to sharpen up our system and work together as a team, which lead to our success over U of T,” said center Emily Ricketts.

While the past two matches were cakewalks, the Marauders now face the biggest test of their season.

“The CIS No. 1 ranked Guelph Gryphons will no doubt be some of our toughest competition and we are looking forward to the challenge this Saturday,” Ricketts said

The victory over the Blues represents the second consecutive week in a row the women have not conceded a single point. Last week, McMaster defeated Trent 41-0.

The win now puts the Marauders to 2-1 and gives Toronto their third straight loss of the season.

Sarah Farquharson and Ricketts each totaled two tries in the game but it was Stephanie Black who truly dominated, racking up a game-high four tries against the Varsity Blues.

Stephanie has also been given the honour of this week’s Pita Pit athlete of the week commending her efforts on Saturday afternoon.

“As our Fly Half, she [Black] is a big part of our offense and a threat with the ball,” said Emily of her teammate.

“She [Black] will be preparing this week for a challenge against the Gryphons and we are confident she will be able to answer their intensity.”

The Marauders hope to maintain their power amongst the CIS rankings with another win on Sept. 28 when they visit the Guelph Gryphons on their home turf.