#thetimeisnow

Ward 1 Candidate: Maureen Wilson

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedin
Photo C/O Maureen Wilson

Maureen Wilson served as the chief of staff to the mayor in Hamilton from 2000 to 2002. She was also the executive assistant to the regional chairman in the Hamilton-Wentworth region for three years and has been involved in various senior roles with schools and city committees.

Wilson is focused on addressing safer streets and affordable housing. She also hopes to improve transit, including GO, LRT and the BLAST Network.

Wilson’s plan to tackle the affordable housing issue includes allowing secondary suites in single-family dwellings.

In Wilson’s view, the city’s current five-year budget, which calls for large infrastructure and urban sprawl investment, does not support the BLAST network vision. She suggests that the city instead should invest in public transit. She also considers area ratings “unfair” for citizens.

Wilson strongly supports LRT. She believes her track record, particularly unique experience in the Hamilton municipal government, makes her a strong candidate.

“We can opt for a progressive path of city building and make the kind of strategic investments that will position Hamilton for future prosperity, environmental sustainability and inclusivity. Or, Hamilton can be left behind by pursuing the path of least resistance, absent of courage, vision, and facts,” said Wilson. “I choose to champion the first path and believe I am the only candidate with the experience to do so.”

More information about the candidate’s platform can be found at www.maureenwilson.ca

Return to all candidates

Comments

Share This Post On

Author: Ryan Tse

Ryan Tse is a second year Arts and Science student. In his free time, he enjoys cheering for the Toronto Maple Leafs, drinking coffee, reading articles in The Athletic and listening to all kinds of music. He spends most of his time in HSL and BSB.