Vintage Hamilton: Second-hand shopping in the Steel City

Amanda Watkins

Amanda Watkins
LifeStyle Editor

If you are a normal, living, breathing human being, either male or female, it is likely that at one point in time, you have wanted to be Zooey Deschanel. It’s a huge generalization, but that does not make it any less true.

Many “alternative” and “hip” celebrities, like Deschanel, sport a style that is uniquely their own and often reminiscent of eras past. And often, when we long for the style of another, we ask ourselves, how do they manage to look that way, all the time?

I’ll let you in on a little secret – many of these alternative and hip celebrities shop vintage.

Vintage clothing and styles have been popular since the early two thousands when thick-rimmed glasses made viagra tablet weight a comeback and Mad Men took flight with ratings. Old was new again, and styles long forgotten were resurrected by high fashion designers and street style pros alike.

Wearing vintage clothing tends to have yuppie-ish connotations that are both inaccessible and untrue. Second-hand styles are easy to find and can be worn by all. Buying twice-loved clothing is a sustainable and cost-effective alternative that allows for a unique and exciting shopping experience.

Hamilton is lucky to have several vintage fashion stores within the area that offer selections for both men and women.

Lauren Erickson, owner of La Bichette, a vintage and contemporary store located off of James St. N. and Barton, started selling second-hand fashions in June of this year when her store first opened.

“A lot of people think that because something isn’t new, the quality isn’t as high. But, it’s actually quite the opposite,” said Erickson.

Older clothing will often be handmade and feature higher quality fabric that can’t be found in today’s mass-produced goods. Detailing with buttons, stitching, and extended seams are also common traits that make for easy alterations, fittings, and unique styles.

When gathering goods to market at a vintage boutique, there are several different ways that clothing can be acquired and made ready for sale.

“I’ve been collecting for probably 10 years,” added Erickson when asked where her supply comes from. "I’ve inherited some of the pieces from family and friends, purchased some from estate sales, and have thrifted many of the pieces."

Consignment stores are also a popular choice for vintage shopping. They sell second-hand clothes from a starter price point, and as time goes by and the item is not sold, the price is gradually reduced.

Although boutique-style stores tend to be the more popular choice for second-hand and vintage shopping, there’s something to be said for thrift stores a la Value Village and Talize. With time and patience, filtering through racks can result in a rewarding shopping experience.

“If you’re going to shop vintage, make sure you have time,” recommends Erickson. “It can be a lot of fun, but you have to factor in time for trying on items and looking through all of the options.”

Shopping vintage is a lot like constantly finding great deals on sale. It can be a thrilling experience, especially when you find a unique buy. Some pieces are actually better purchased twice-loved, such as outerwear and party dresses.

“You’ll never have to worry about someone having the same dress as you,” said Erickson in reference to shopping vintage.

Purchasing vintage clothing is easy and accessible, especially in Hamilton. And contrary to popular belief, it is available and appropriate for everyone, and not just certain sects of society.

“Vintage isn’t just for hipsters. Everyone can wear vintage,” said Erickson.

Shopping vintage can be a fun and beneficial experience. Looking up to icons of the past, and alternative stars of the present, you may be setting the trends of the future. And if you look past the common misconceptions surrounding it, you may just be the next Zooey Deschanel.