The power of mentorship

admin

In 2018 it is just as valuable, if not more, to know the right people than the right things. Students have found that building a network has helped them realize how they would fit in a specific role, and ultimately if the role is a good fit for them.

“Networking and asking questions of those already in a similar role can provide you with those details and stories to help you understand how you can fit into the role—and ultimately share that clearly with an employer in an interview.” Lauren Salci, MSc Kinesiology ‘15

Having someone that can give you advice, share their insight and give guidance on the work world is valuable but also a privilege. Building your network could be challenging but there are resources that you can take advantage of as a McMaster student that will help you build those connections.

Thanks to the Mac10 program offered by the Alumni Association, McMaster students have access to Firsthand, an online mentorship platform. The platform is made up of a network of McMaster grads who have been in your shoes and are excited to share their expertise. Through this platform students are able to gain insight on careers or graduate programs of interest. The power of mentorship is that you learn more about a career path through others’ experiences, and gain answers to questions you never thought to ask.

The power of having a mentor that went to Mac is that they know which clubs and services are available. As a result, they can suggest great volunteer opportunities that can help strengthen your resume and land you your dream job. Through mentorship you can save time and money while gaining a lifelong connection with your mentors.

While some students have known what they wanted to pursue from a young age, others are still trying to figure it out, which is okay. It is difficult to start building a meaningful network when you don’t exactly know what you’re looking for, or what interests you. Firsthand lets you say ‘I don’t know’ when setting up your profile. Mentorship programs are a chance to learn through other people's experiences and gain insight on different career paths.

Getting your first job is hard, especially when you don’t have the network that could help get your foot in the door. Firsthand helps McMaster students knock down one more barrier they have to face when thinking about their future and next steps. The network exists on the platform, all they are missing is you.

Visit www.mcmaster.firsthand.co to create your profile.