The meaning of superstitions are solved

insideout

Eric Coomes / The Silhouette

Cassandra Jeffery 

Assistant InsideOut Editor

The beliefs of today’s society are primarily science-based. The Middle-Ages belief that ghouls and demons walk among the living has long since been forgotten. But despite our pessimistic tendencies to deny the abnormal, our desire to succumb to silly superstitions still prevails. We may say we don’t believe in bad luck, but we still knock on wood.

Superstitions are common now in the 21st century, though most individuals do not understand the origins behind such acts as “knocking on wood.” Perhaps if the meanings behind ancient superstitions were revealed, fewer people would partake in them.

Who says it’s bad to walk under a ladder? The early Christians saw a leaning ladder as a formation of a triangle with the wall and ground. Walking through a triangleshaped area violated the Holy Trinity, and unless you were in cahoots with the devil, you didn’t violate the Holy Trinity. In the Middle Ages, walking underneath a ladder was considered grounds for suspected witch craft – talk about bad spell!

“God bless you.” During the sixth century, it was believed that individuals who sneezed were expelling evil entities from their bodies, which is why it became customary for people to congratulate one another when sneezing. During the great plague that swept throughout Europe, people began sneezing violently and thus the Pope passed a law requiring people to bless sneezers, who were most likely on the verge of death.

Heavens, the salt has been split! Centuries ago, if salt was spilt it was customary to immediately throw some over your shoulder in order to strike the nasty spirits in the eye, preventing sickness.

Black cats are evil. A primary goddess in ancient Egypt often took the formation of a black cat. During the Christian invasion, priests wiped out all traces of other religions, and in accordance, saw black cats as evil.

It’s more than just good manners to cover your mouth when yawning. In the Middle Ages, it was believed that evil spirits could enter your body through the mouth, thus it was customary to cover your mouth while yawning.

Today, we knock on wood for good luck. We tap the oak table to prevent some annoyance that, until that point, has been avoided. However, ancient superstitions suggest that evil spirits had the ability to live in wood. Knocking on wood was supposed to prevent evil spirits from escaping into the atmosphere.

Umbrellas are never to be opened inside. Ancient pagan societies worshipped the sun god. Since the umbrella was used to provide shade from the sun, the umbrellas themselves were given magical powers. Consequently, opening an umbrella inside was considered offensive to the sun god and as a result bad luck was brought upon the home.

Peter Cottontail’s foot a lucky item? It is widely believed that a rabbit’s foot possesses an abundance of luck for the beholder. Stemming from ancient Celtic tradition, obtaining a rabbit foot was seen as a rite of passage for young boys, bringing prosperity and luck to their families. Poor Mr. Cottontail.

However much scientific knowledge we acquire, we still blindly follow ancient beliefs. Although we may not believe in the original meanings behind superstitions, such traditions have become custom in our culture. Superstitions, although silly and far-fetched, can be a fun way to uphold tradition. Our children may never believe that black cats are the embodiment of an Egyptian goddess, but around Halloween, the black cat will carry on as the spooky, misunderstood villain.