#thetimeisnow

Supercrawl 2019: Through the eyes of Flader and Cui The Government deemed us non-essential, we, the students, say otherwise

FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedin

Point Of View

By: Matty Flader, Photo Reporter 

We’re taught from a young age that certain things in the world are constant. There’s a northern star in the sky, a brain in our heads and art for those who can’t use that brain towards “something more productive”. Yet, if you ask a group of people to take their own photos of the same thing, you’ll get a myriad of results. Suddenly, the illusion of some consistent reality is shattered. Our points of view dictate what we see and how we understand. It’s so easy to think that reality is a constant and tangible construct, but what can truthfully be said to be “real” without it first being filtered through the infinitely varying human perspective? Thus, reality can only fairly be understood as socially constructed through some sort of collective agreement. This is my visual recap of Supercrawl — the way I saw things. My contribution of “something more productive” to reality.

#unignorable

By: Cindy Cui, Photo Editor

Poverty, domestic violence, social isolation and mental illness. Sometimes, the most serious problems in our communities are the ones we don’t see. By ignoring these issues, we make it more difficult for those who are suffering to find and receive the help they need. Instead, these people  feel silenced, suffocated and invisible. As communities, we can help … but only if we recognize that these problems exist — only if we give them our attention. It’s time that we make such issues, circumstances and stories #unignorable.

Comments

Share This Post On

Author: Cindy Cui

Cindy is a 3rd year student in the Health Sciences program. On the side, she’s a bad cook, dog enthusiast, and freelance photographer. You can usually find her listening to music or spending all her money on coffee & brunch.