Stones, Ferguson rep Mac

Maggie Cogger-Orr
Silhouette Staff

After a gruelling two days competing at the CIS sevens tournament held in British Columbia, most of the McMaster Men’s Rugby team returned back to Hamilton – all except for sophomores Andrew Ferguson and Cam Stones who shifted their focus to the U-20 National Team.

The two left the tournament to go train with the U20 Team as they prepared for two test matches against both the Romanian National Team and its U-20 variation. A big challenge for both players was transitioning back to the fifteens game – a game of 80 minutes – from the 7s version – a game of a mere 14 minutes.

“I'd have to say the biggest challenge was the time change from seven minute halves to 40 minute halves,” said Stones. “Even though the halves in sevens are so much shorter, I still felt more prepared to play a 40 minute half. It really says something about the fitness level of the guys that play on the sevens circuit.”

Both Ferguson and Stones were selected to start the first game against the Romanian Senior National Team, which, although they would lose 30-22, presented a great opportunity for both players to compare themselves to senior players of international calibre. Stones was also selected to start the second match, which the team would also lose 23-6. Although the results on the scoreboard were not the most desirable, the overall experience was a positive one for Stones.

“I really enjoyed training sessions and getting to know the guys that are new to the team” said Stones when asked what the best part of his experience was.

“The new facilities in Langford are also incredible and it was really cool to see an entire stadium, gym and office building dedicated to rugby. The Saturday night game in Langford brought a lot of support from the BC rugby community which you don't get to the same level here Ontario.”

With only two years of varsity rugby under their belts, Stones credits the McMaster rugby program with helping him develop into the player he is today.

“Before coming to Mac, I hadn't had the exposure to national level players like there are here. There were quite a few guys on the team that had represented Canada at the U20 level. Coach Phil White really does a great job of attracting players and developing them into national level athletes,” said Stones.

He also is quick to acknowledge 2010 OUA Coach of the Year Shaun Allen, who was his coach in his rookie season.

“Shaun also played a huge part in my first year getting me ready for the U-20 Canada tryouts and pushing me to get to that level,” said Stones.

When asked about how playing against OUA powerhouses has helped him adjust to higher calibre rugby, Stones indicated that Ontario’s varsity athletes stacked up well with their international counterparts.

“The size of the guys in the OUA is really underappreciated,” said Stones. “I'd say some of the guys in this league are much bigger than international teams I’ve played.”

With two years at least left in his time here at McMaster, Stones has a lot on his mind when it comes to goals for himself; which in true student athlete fashion, don’t solely revolve around his time at the Back 10 fields.

“School wise, I'm majoring in Political Science with a minor in French, and if all goes well some grad work too,” said Stones. “Hopefully I won't stray too far from Hamilton in years to come and I'll be able to give back to the McMaster program like many of the veterans do.

“We're really fortunate that the alumni give so much time into developing the program, and we even get the benefit of having ex-players come back to coach who have been to World Cups.”

In terms of rugby, the biggest question for Stones is whether he will focus his time in fifteens, the traditional Canadian rugby game which he plays at McMaster, or sevens, which has recently been included in the Olympics.

When asked where he planned to focus, Stones noted that the more traditional fifteens game would be his mainstay for now.

“I haven't played the game of sevens as much as I would like and it's something I hope I have the chance to represent Canada in,” said Stones. “Sevens is now an Olympic sport and will be in the 2016 Olympics. That's certainly something I'd love to be considered for. But for now, 15s is where most of my time is being dedicated.”

With the 2011 season ending with a disappointing fourth place finish, the program is coming to a crossroads of sorts with a new generation of players, such as Ferguson and Stones, stepping into the shoes of heroes past such as Shaun Windsor and Keegan Selby.

When asked about his thoughts on the fourth place finish, Stones acknowledged that the team was looking to improve.

“I agree that it wasn't the result we wanted,” said Stones. “Going from first to fourth wasn't what we set out to do. The program is full of guys who are top quality players, and I think if we can continue to mould together, there is a great core group of guys that in my opinion have the ability to win another OUA title.

“We have a few guys returning next year, some didn't play this year, and that's going to be a huge boost in our favour. This season past does not reflect the program’s potential at all.”

Both Stones and Ferguson will look to continue to be a part of the U-20 program throughout this season, and hopefully eventually compete in the Junior World Trophy this June in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is easy to say though, the more experience both these players have at a higher level, the brighter the future looks for McMaster rugby.