Start planning tomorrow, today

insideout

TYLER HAYWARD / SENIOR PHOTO EDITOR

Amanda Teseo

Silhouette Staff

“What am I going to do with my life?” It’s the dreaded question we ask ourselves at almost every developmental stage – from childhood, when you were convinced you could become the best magician in the world, to old age, when you look at where you’ve been in life and formulate a plan for the remainder. By emphasizing the importance of building a career, society pressurizes us to decide what we will make of ourselves in this world.

Ultimately, choosing a career is a very personal process that involves knowing yourself, discovering opportunities and making decisions. It can be very difficult to make this decision process a personal journey, one that silences outside pressures and focuses on individual fulfillment.

This is your life – no one is going to live it for you. So, here are some guidelines on how to make informed choices regarding your future endeavors.

First and foremost, for any of you who haven’t heard of the McMaster Student Success Centre, it’s a great resource for a multitude of student issues, especially career planning. Building a future seems like it’s supposed to be a linear succession forward, where you progressively make decisions that keep you on a constant path moving towards your final goal.

Realistically, you may be faced with various obstacles, harsh realities and unexpected opportunities along the way. The Student Success Centre calls this the “Planned Happenstance,” which is the process of maintaining and building goals while being open to novel situations that may arise and potentially alter those goals.

There is no “yellow brick road” to your perfect career. Many of us wander and search for much of our lives. In order to embark on a journey where you build your own yellow brick road as you approach a career, five characteristics will help you: curiosity, persistence, flexibility, optimism and risk-taking.

I had the opportunity of attending a Student Success Leader Orientation this past weekend, and I was astounded by the inspiration that it instilled in me. Jerome Chang, who I quickly added on Facebook (friend request still pending), delivered an amazing presentation about planning your future.

He enthusiastically incorporated one of my favorite childhood books Hope for the Flowers by Trina Paulus into his presentation. The plot follows two caterpillars, stripe and yellow, through an expedition of growth and discovery. First, they travel up a “pillar” of caterpillars, unaware of what they are traveling towards but too busy climbing to reflect on the matter.

In the end, they both become butterflies, much to their surprise. Jerome ended his presentation with the piercing words, “Do you know what you are climbing towards? If you do, is it where you truly want to be?”

Like the caterpillars, many of us are climbing a “pillar” in our lives without knowing if it is really what we want. Maybe your parents or peers are pressuring you into  becoming something that doesn’t correspond to your personal inclinations. The reality is that many of us are so caught up in the monotony and stress associated with university life that we forget to reflect on our lives. Is this really what you want to become? Do you want to be a lawyer solely for the money? Are you writing the MCAT because your parents are forcing you? It sounds simple, but take some time to think and explore.

The first step towards your career should be self-discovery. Explore your areas of interest, aptitudes, weaknesses, values, personality, characteristics, etc. Next, visualize your ideal life. Maybe it’s being a freelance writer and roaming the streets for inspiration. Maybe it’s becoming a kindergarten teacher and rounding up students for “circle time.” Travel deep into the experience of visualization and ask yourself if what you see makes sense with your persona. For example, can you picture yourself in an operating room without feeling nauseous?

If the mental scene you are painting for yourself is overcome by a foggy haze or loss of fascination, you need to do your research or change your vision. Try building a network of connections, going to campus events, joining groups that interest you and attending information sessions.

Third-year McMaster Economics student Kirina Kissoon says, “the key to success is to stay positive, constantly persevere and surround yourself with ‘winners,’ or people that inspire you.” Kirina praises DECA, a commerce-centred group on campus that participates in business-related competitions, as a great opportunity to work with different people, learn how to present yourself professionally and form connections.

Finally, don’t be afraid to take risks in every area of your life. I go back to my pending Facebook friend, Jerome Chang, for inspiration in this area. “Risk-taking is a way of telling yourself that you’re alive,” he says. When we take risks, our minds become fuelled with renewed curiosity. You become the star of your own reality television show, waiting in anticipation for the final result. Think about how scary it can be to ask that special someone out – during the act, every sense is heightened. Will he/she say yes? Did my voice crack while I said that? Oh gosh…now I’m blushing. If you feel compelled to do something or are interested in an opportunity, take the plunge. Even if things don’t work out as planned, you will look upon yourself with a renewed sense of achievement for being courageous. I promise.

Overall, your life is your canvas. You have to get hungry for success. You have to be passionate and intentional. With the right resources, attitude and motivation, you are well on your way. Get yourself closer to making that mental image a reality.