Spring shoe trends to watch out for

Daniella Porano

While the recent and very much welcome above-zero temperatures usher in the beauty of spring, all I can think about is the new fashion season that comes with it. As the days of frantically wiping off salt from your boots become a bitter memory of winter’s past (seriously, anyone else sick of the constant crunching and destroyed leather?), we welcome spring with new shoes.

With the autumn/winter shows finishing up in Paris, the spring/summer trends that showed in the fall of 2014 will be dominating the publications, stores, and trend reports across the fashion world.

spring-summer-2014-trend-gladiator-sandals

Taking hints from the spring/summer 2015 runway shows, the shoes of spring are fun and versatile. The 70’s are making a comeback with clunky platform heels. Think sparkles, glitter, and six inches of disco glamour. At Tom Ford, the heels were mono-coloured with ankle straps, while Saint Laurent debuted red, white, and gold, with a leopard printed chunky heel. The platform heels are going to be the go-to going out shoes for spring, and are so perfect for dancing.

Something completely different coming back are gladiator sandals. It seems like they filter through the runway every few years, constantly being reinvented and modernized. This season, prepare to witness yet another revival with gladiators in a wide variety of heights and heels. Alexander McQueen, Chloe, Givenchy, Valentino, and Rodarte all showed a variation of gladiators, making them one of the most popular shoes to grace the spring/summer runways. Gladiators are becoming summer essentials by injecting an outfit with exciting Roman charm.

However, nothing beats the versatility of power flats. Chanel debuted gorgeous metallic brogues alongside flats with strategic cutouts and straps. At Michael Kors, strappy pointed-toe flats were the main event, while at Oscar de la Renta, multi-coloured menswear-inspired oxfords were the shoe of choice. Flats are taking over the runway, which will translate to the streets very well. Walkable, easy, and fashionable, what’s not to love?