Spin into something new

insideout

Cassandra Jeffery 

Assistant InsideOut Editor

It’s a beautiful, crisp Wednesday morning. As most students are just pulling themselves out of bed, the active, athletic types have been up for hours getting their daily dose of exercise in before breakfast. Although getting up before eight o’clock in the morning seems to be a seldom fought battle, making sure you maintain a healthy lifestyle is important. With exams right around the corner, running a marathon is the last thing on our minds, however keeping up the physical flow will pay off in the end.

With that being said, getting out of bed to beat the crowd at the McMaster athletic center can also be more nauseating than the pounding headache you’ll have to endure after running on the treadmill for thirty minutes. If you’re frustrated with a boring and mundane workout routine but are desperately seeking a way to maintain that perfect body, try the McMaster spin classes.

Most of the student population has a general lack of knowledge when it comes to exercise involving a bicycle. If you’re anything like me, you would assume that biking can’t possibly be that difficult, let alone provide an adequate workout.

From visiting and experiencing various Mac cycle classes, I can vouch for the intensity and quality of workout. The cycle classes range from beginner (Mac cycle), to intermediate (extended cycle) and advanced (psycho cycle), though the Mac cycle, if done correctly, can be just as intense and difficult as the psycho cycle or the extended cycle. Usually, the spin classes last for approximately 45 minutes to an hour, and for the entire duration, the talented instructors push for the best possible effort.

A common misconception of Spin is that the class simply gets on a stationary bicycle and peddles for an hour. At the half hour mark, you’ll be wishing this myth was true, but instead, the instructors push pulse members through a vigorous and exhausting workout routine that involves frequently shifting gears, working the abdominal/core area and completing a series of standing exercises in order to properly work leg muscles.

Variety is key to a good workout, which is why the McMaster athletic center has a range of trained cyclists teaching the spin classes. Each instructor has a unique way of making everyone sweat and a different taste in motivational music. From Saturday morning Canadian rock to Tuesday morning modern dance hits, the Mac spin classes will surely have you coming back for more. And if you can’t pull yourself out of bed for an early morning class, Mac cycle offers various afternoon classes as well.

If you don’t have a Pulse membership, you can always purchase a day pass and try a class out for yourself. Otherwise, grab that rusty bike that’s probably been collecting dust in the basement all year and go for a spin around the block.

Take advantage of Hamilton’s beautiful weather and charming bike trails while it’s here and start getting in shape. After all, bathing suit season is just around the corner.