Spice up October

Daniel Arauz

Between some great live shows, NOSH Week and of course, Halloween, October is shaping up to be a busy month. Here are some of our highlight events to check out this month.

Oct. 14 – MIGRANT DREAMS @ Workers Arts & Heritage Centre
The Hot Doc Audience Favourite, Migrant Dreams by director Min Sook Lee is making its premier local screening. The film presents the untold stories of migrant agricultural workers under Canada’s Temporary Foreign workers program. The event is hosted alongside the Institute on Globalization and the Human Condition.

Oct. 17 CHEF WARS @ Liuna Station
The battle for best chef in Hamilton begins! The event will help kick off NOSH, Hamilton’s weeklong celebration of the city’s culinary scene. The cook-off will feature chefs from Butcher and the Vegan, Other Bird Inc., Sasso, Pokeh, Eat Industries, Mezcal and more.

Oct. 22 HAMILTON FLEA @ Lawson Lumber Yard
The spirit of Hamilton’s prolific vintage, craft, and foodie community comes together once again for the third annual Hamilton Flea Market. The event is staged in a rustic, early 1900s lumber yard around the Gage Park community.

Oct. 23 NOSH FOOD TRUCK FINALE @ Wilson and James St
With colder weather comes a painful goodbye to food truck season. Adjacent to host company Dr. Disc, local food trucks will be rolling up one last time, along with live local music performances.

Oct. 26 MNDSGN @ This Ain’t Hollywood
Stone Throws Records houses some of the most critically acclaimed hip hop artists in the last decade, and Ringgo Anchenta aka MNDSGN is no exception. The beat producer has collaborated with Knxwledge and Danny Brown, and is bringing the smooth, sensational sounds of his latest LP “Body Wash” to This Ain’t Hollywood.

Oct. 29 ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW @ The Zoetic
The 85-year-old theatre is hosting a screening of the 1975 cult-classic, along with “shadow cast” that will perform live with some of film’s most beloved scenes. The 19+ event will only have two screenings that evening. Costumes are encouraged!

Oct. 29 HAUNTED HAMILTON PARANORMAL INVESTIGATION @ Cannon Knitting Mills 
Well, this speaks for itself. Get your ghost tracking buddies and try this first ever guided investigation into an abandoned building built in 1884 before it is inevitably turned into condos. Spooky!