So you’ve been invited home for Easter…

lifestyle
April 2, 2015

By: Beth Barr

Your significant other has invited you to their home for Easter.

But everyone knows that this is no simple dinner. This is a vetting process. Does their family like and approve of you? Do you like and get along with your significant other’s family and friends?

Naturally, you wipe away the worry, smile, and tell your partner, “of course, I’d love to.” And you mean it, because you really do want them to like you and to like them. This may be a turning point in your relationship, and you refuse to mess it up.

You have options. You could become anxious that their family won’t like you/you’ll say the wrong thing/they’ll have odd traditions and so on.

Or you could talk to your partner. I can guarantee that they don’t intend for this to be a stressful experience; they may even share some of your worries. Talking it out and clearing any questions before the pair of you begin the journey home is a good foundation to build. Perhaps make sure you have names and some facts about each family member down pat. Ask about what to wear, if gifts should be brought, and how to best say “no” to that weird dish you really don’t want to eat.

Couples aren’t always on the same page, but this is a heavy and new situation for at least one half of your pairing. This, if no other occasion, is something to fully open the lines of communication for.

Open lines of communication can result in a stronger bond between you and your beau (or belle). You each know what to expect, who to impress, and who to avoid. Nerves are normal for both parties, and sometimes knowing that your partner is also a tad worried can put your own mind at ease.

Discussing topics on which to present a united front (for example, your decision to move in together), and those that should be avoided (e.g. marriage, children) will be different for every couple, but will nevertheless always deserve frank discussion.

Perhaps a secret signal between the two of you is in order – when cornered by that old aunt who only talks about cats wouldn’t you want a subtle signal to your partner that you need an immediate rescue? “So, shall we, um … go wash our hands before the meal *wink*?” “Of course, I’d love to.”