So you go to Mac and you run a business?

lifestyle

[adrotate banner="13"]

By: Sabrina Sibbald

It’s midnight. You’re tired, but you can’t go to sleep yet – you’ve got a chapter to study, a paper to finish, and a business to run.

Hold up, a business to run? That’s right, while some mere mortals (i.e. myself) worry about how they are going to balance school, clubs, and a social life, there is a rare breed that is able to do all this, and run their own business: the student entrepreneur.

Chetan Singh - RotaNovus

Being a student entrepreneur is a unique experience. The skills you learn at school are immediately applied in the real world. I have learned more from my experiences of starting a company than I could ever have from school alone.

Cristina Beghian - Sound Options Tinnitus Treatment

Working with a start-up and being a student is rewarding but busy.  It offers the opportunity to apply theoretical lecture material to real-world situations. Additionally, being a student at McMaster provides resources including professors, market research, and student organizations which have helped grow the start-up.

Graham Spry - UWallet

As student entrepreneurs we’re given the opportunity to positively influence and engage with our surroundings… I’ve become more connected. It’s a self-fulfilling attitude that has allowed me to become passionate, curious and driven in everything I do. Finish strong and fail fast.

Henry Beckett - Comikka

Being a student and entrepreneur simultaneously brings constant personal real-world relevance to what you’ve studied.  This is a benefit that no school, no matter how high in quality, could ever deliver so effectively.

Jeffrey Girard - HARvEST

Having graduated from the Engineering and Management program at McMaster, I started with a basic knowledge of business, but through the ever-growing resources for student entrepreneurs at Mac I’ve been taught so much more about how to build a sustainable business around a simple idea.

Peter Basl - Ranggo

I  joined the entrepreneurship program after earning my PhD and five years of work. It was overwhelming but exciting being back as a student to start my own business, while still working. However, it was the best way of doing it, as students get a lot of support and opportunities.

Shiloh Covey - Start the Cycle

[It’s] the equivalent of running a race. There are hurdles, some big some small, but it all depends and how high you are willing to jump. You do this without fear of failing, because sometimes you will, and sometimes you’ll jump higher than anyone else before you.”

Sina Afshani - Blue Orchid

Entrepreneurship is about the journey and taking risks and whether you fail or succeed what you learn along the way is far greater and rewarding than any job or academic experience. [It] means having the freedom and the ability to explore ideas and opportunities deemed impossible by others.

[adrotate banner="12"]