Skype: interview tool extraordinaire

business

Joy Santiago / Multimedia Editor

Sonya Khanna

Business Editor

The recent popularity of the online video messaging service Skype has led many firms to implement the usage of this quirky technology as an innovative form of interviewing, acting as a budget friendly, hassle free alternative to the traditional method of interviewing.

According to a report on Skyping for Interviews by Tony Brett, head of IT Support Staff Services with Oxford University Computing Services, diminished traveling costs, increased personalized feel and user friendly capabilities are just some of the reasons for growth in the popularity of Skype interviewing.

“Although phone interviews might seem like a quick, less invasive form of applicant screening, it is common in some circumstances to catch applicants typing things on their computer to find answers to interview questions,” says McMaster grad and Financial sector worker Susanna Chu. “Skype is a great way to interview applicants as it assures you the candidate is not sifting through notes or searching the net to obtain answers.”

The Chronicle’s Brainstorm Blog has reported that 12 per cent to 18 per cent of interviews are now conducted via the generic cialis internet, with web-based interviews reportedly diminishing costs for firms between $5,000 to $10,000.

I’m sure we all can recall receiving that highly anticipated phone call from a certain employer at quite possibly the worst time imaginable: noise galore, two bags in one hand, keys in the other, screaming kids, barking dogs, fast asleep and missed the call, running on the treadmill, the list goes on. Skype reduces interview annoyances by scheduling a predetermined time for the interview.

“It allows applicants to mentally prepare without the would-be disturbances and potential anxiety associated with being caught off gaurd,” notes Susanna.

Skype also provides employers with heightened visual clues of applicant personality traits and mannerisms. Although these indicators are not as effective as in person interviews, they are certainly more impactful than merely listening to a muffled voice of a mysterious applicant through phone with scratchy service.

If you plan on conducting an interview by means of this nifty piece of technology, here are a few tips to be mindful of when preparing for your close-up.

Conducting an interview from comfort of your own home and maybe even the comfort of your own bed can be an overwhelming exciting experience for some, but as much as you adore your leopard print snuggie, wearing this is an interview blunder waiting to erupt. Skip out on the unconventional business attire and lean toward something more neutral. Although you are not meeting in person, potential employers are certainly not keen on seeing you sprawled up on your couch in next to nothing with a beer can resting comfortably on your belly. While this may be a slight overexertion, the point is crystal clear: an interview should be conducted in a professional manner regardless of the location, which means neutral, business casual attire or what would be deemed appropriate for the occasion to convey a positive impression.

If you have an animal or a child remove them from the area you are interviewing. Having a dog wailing within earshot of you will probably throw you off and will surely be an annoyance to the interview.

Be conscious of the lighting and avoid bright lights behind you as they will darken your face and too much light will depict you as a washed out ghostly figure on the screen. If you are uncertain of how the interviewer can see you, don’t be afraid to ask whether the lighting is appropriate.

Looking at the image of your interviewer on the screen while they talk is acceptable but remember to look at the camera when you speak to ensure eye contact is maintain as it would in an in person interview.

According to Time.com, as quoted from broadcast journalist coach Pricilla Shanks, you should sit with a neutral background, knees angled to the corner of the computer screen and head slightly tilted back to look at the camera. Applicants should refrain from sitting obnoxiously close to the camera, giving interviewers the perfect view of the inside of your nose. Sit tall in your chair with at least three buttons visible to avoid the inevitable floating head faux pas.

Although these helpful reminders might come across as an annoyance to some you should remember that this is still an interview and although technology has increased the ease at which certain tasks are to be completed, laziness and greater technological efficiency should not be positively correlated.

Prep for your interview with the same zest as you would for any other and you are sure to be successful.