Six Hamilton Breweries You Should Visit

Susie Ellis

Hamilton’s beer and cider scene has been brewing for the past few years, the city slowly becoming home to many local fermenting makers. With a good selection of places to stop for a cold one with the friends, here’s a quick list to help you decide which brewery to visit (although we highly recommend visiting all of them at some point.)

Collective Arts Brewing

207 Burlington St E, Hamilton

The industrial-exterior looking Collective Arts Brewing is nothing but the opposite once inside the waterfront brewery. The 24hr brewery is giant compared to other local beer makers in Hamilton, but still cultivates a friendly atmosphere. From their can designs to their performance spaces, Collective Arts focuses on creativity. Peep their wide beer selection and events listings on their website.

Fairweather Brewing Company

5 Ofield Rd Unit #1, Hamilton

Close to McMaster Fairweather Brewing Company is a brewery offering traditional bottled beers and an intimate but vibrant tap room. If you’re looking for recommendations, regular favourites include the hoppy Sundrop Wheat IPA and NW Pale Ale. Their doughy soft pretzels pair well with all of their flavours. Follow their Instagram for more information.

Grain & Grit Beer Co.

11 Ewen Rd, Hamilton

Having just opened in West End in late October, Grain & Grit is already making a splash in the beer barrel in Hamilton. Grain & Grit focuses on small batch brews and serving their surrounding communities. Local beer lovers and students alike can all feel at home in this open and aesthetic brewery. Check out their current beer selection on their Facebook page.

Merit Brewing

107 James Street North, Hamilton

Merit Brewing is a recent addition to the HamOnt brewing scene having just open it’s doors to the downtown core this past summer. The micro brewery features not only creative beers but a sausage based menu fit for any hungry beer drinker. Check out what's on tap on their website.

Rust City Brewery

27 King William St, Hamilton

Rust City doesn't look like a microbrewery at first; it’s beer brewing machine hidden in the back of the cozy coffeeshop storefront. While their own brew isn’t on tap yet due to current zoning laws, the brewery serves local beers from Hamilton and Ontario. They put the same effort into their food selection as well, offering locally sourced foods for a variety of dietary preferences.

Shawn & Ed Brewing Co.

65 Hatt Street, Dundas

Home to the winning Canadian brew from the World Beer Awards, Shawn & Ed started their Dundas brewery with the communities support using Kickstarter. The duo offer quality beers of two types: Lagershed (Original, Darker, Lighter) and Barrelshed (the award winning beer.) Go try one of their brews at their Beer and Board Game night!