Simranjeet Singh has been named 2022 MSU President-Elect

Andrew Mrozowski
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

Photo C/O Simranjeet Singh
11.4% voter turnout brings an all-time low to recent MSU Elections history.

After a rigorous campaigning period, Simranjeet Singh has been named the McMaster Students Union the unofficial President-Elect for the 2022-2023 academic term.

"The results of the election were ratified by the MSU Elections Committee, in a meeting following the closing of polls on January 27, 2022. The Elections Committee, charged with overseeing all elections of and within the MSU, completed the campaign evaluation process by assessing fines and addressing complaints levied against candidates. In addition, the Committee witnessed and ratified the results of the tabulation of votes via Simply Voting, the MSU’s online voting portal," stated a post on the MSU website announcing results of the election on Thursday night.

C/O McMaster Students Union

The results of the election are strikingly low with a total of 3,107 out of 27,149 students casting their vote. That equates to 11.44% of the student population.

Singh obtained 1,657 votes while Denver Della-Vedova, the current MSU President running for re-election, obtained 864 votes.

586 students chose to abstain their votes.

This is the lowest voter turnout in recent MSU history. In 2020, the Silhouette reported that voter turnout reached a low of 19.6%. Although students did not vote in last year's acclaimed presidential race, current data suggests this downward trend will continue.

Andrew Mrozowski/Editor-in-Chief

At time of publication, MSU Elections has not stated why they believe the voter turnout to be so low.

While Singh has been named the unofficial President-Elect, him and Della-Vedova have five days to contest the results and appeal to MSU Elections.

Keep it locked to thesil.ca for our interview with the President-Elect