SHEC: Give blood, love life

lifestyle

Palika Kholi and Katie Ferguson
Student Health Education Centre

Every year Canadian Blood Services comes to McMaster University to set up mobile blood donor clinics. And if you heard the buzz last week, they're back!

Canadian Blood Services is a national, not-for-profit charitable organization that manages the supply of blood and blood products in all provinces and territories outside of Quebec. Canadian Blood Services operates more than 20,000 donor clinics annually, including clinics on campus at the McMaster University Student Centre (3rd Floor, CIBC Hall) and Ewart Angus Centre. At these clinics, units of "whole blood" are collected, which consist of red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets and plasma. One unit of blood is approximately half a litre (or one pint). Transfusions to patients in need sometimes consist of whole blood (with the white blood cells removed) and other times the blood is centrifuged and separated into its different components.

Approximately every minute of every day, someone in Canada needs blood and it is students like YOU who can make the difference and save lives.

If you’re interested in donating, visit www.blood.ca where you can view basic eligibility requirements. After you’ve checked your eligibility, you can book your appointment at the Student Health Education Centre (SHEC: MUSC Room 202), online (https://donatenow.blood.ca) or by calling 1-888-2-DONATE.

In 2010, to demonstrate support of blood donation and to help recruit students to become new donors, the McMaster Students Union (MSU) joined the Canadian Blood Services Partners for Life program and exceeded the donation pledge of 450 units of blood! The MSU continues to strive to encourage new and repeat donors and has pledged 1,500 units to be donated by the end of 2013.

To ensure your donations count towards the MSU pledge, register as a member of the McMaster Students Union:

1. Go to www.blood.ca/partnersforlife.
  2. Click on “Join Partners for Life” then click on “Member”.
  3. Click on “Sign me up to donate with my team!”
  4. Fill out the secure form and click “Submit”.

Your Partner ID is MCMA011297.

See below for a list of upcoming clinics dates in CIBC Hall, on the third floor of MUSC. Bring a friend to donate and your two units of blood can help treat one patient for internal bleeding!

Thursday, Sept. 26 from 11 AM - 5 PM

Tuesday, Oct. 8th from 11 AM - 5 PM

Thursday, Oct. 24th from 11 AM - 5 PM

Tuesday, Nov. 5th from 11 AM - 5 PM

Thursday, Nov. 21st from 11 AM - 5 PM

Donate with your friends, classmates, residence floor or club! To book your group appointment, contact katie.ferguson@blood.ca.