Search continues for Westdale assault suspect

Anqi Shen
August 9, 2012

Hamilton Police are searching for a male suspect who they believe is linked to at least two sexual assaults on King Street West and in the Dalewood and Traymore area.

Police have released a composite image of the suspect and are asking for the public’s assistance in identifying him.

The most recent assault occurred on July 28 near the intersection of Paradise Rd. and Longwood Rd. A woman was walking alone at 2 a.m. along King Street W. when a male attacked her from behind, then stabbed and sexually assaulted her. The victim broke free and was taken to hospital, where she was treated for non-life threatening injuries and released.

The suspect is described as a white male in his twenties, about six feet tall, with short, dark hair and a tanned complexion. Police believe the suspect, who was last seen running eastbound on King Street W., sustained a facial injury during the attack.

Investigators have linked the suspect to an earlier assault, which occurred on April 21 at approximately 3 a.m. near Traymore and Dalewood. A woman was grabbed from behind, pushed to the ground and sexually assaulted. To prevent the victim from dialling 911, the suspect took her phone, which was later found nearby.v

The victim did not sustain any severe physical injuries.

In the April 21 incident, the suspect was seen running toward Dalewood Ave. along Traymore Ave. He is described as a white male in his twenties, 5 feet 5 inches tall with a medium build, wearing a dark hoodie and dark track pants.

Despite the height differential, Detective Sergeant Maggie Schoen said investigators “were able to link the same suspect to both incidents based on other descriptors provided and his M.O.”

Police are asking anyone with information to contact Detective Scott Moore at (905) 546-4614 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Terry Sullivan, Director of McMaster Security Services, said they will continue to monitor the situation.

“We are in constant contact with the Hamilton Police and will be circulating the bulletin of the suspect,” said Sullivan.

Unrelated to the sexual assaults, four armed robberies took place in Hamilton’s west end last week. The incidents occurred in the Ewen Rd. and Rifle Range Rd. area, at the intersection of Broadway St. and Ward Ave, in the Victoria Park area and in the area of Bowman and Baxter St. In each case the armed bicyclist took out a handgun and demanded valuables from his victims.No one was physically harmed during these robberies.

The suspect is described as a white male in his twenties with a thin build, wearing dark clothes and sometimes a baseball cap.

Police have increased patrol units in the city’s west end in response to the assaults and robberies.

“Students in the area should be aware of what’s happening in the community,” said Det. Sgt. Schoen.

“The more informed they are, the better witnesses they will be.”

McMaster officials say safety alerts and new information in the sexual assault investigation will continue to be updated on the McMaster Security Services website.