Scalping a concern at sold out Weeknd concert

news

Brian Decker

Executive Editor

A rush on sales broke out at noon on Tuesday, Feb. 28 when tickets to recording artist act The Weeknd became available at Compass.

Over 600 students lined up to buy tickets for the March 16 show at TwelvEighty, with many students re-selling tickets at inflated prices shortly after. The show was sold out in the first two hours of sales.

The Campus Events and McMaster Class of 2015 Facebook pages both saw posts from numerous students trying to scalp tickets for more than $50 each.

The tickets were originally on sale for $25 for students and $30 for guests with a maximum of five tickets available for purchase at one time.

“We had staff in place to make sure people weren’t re-entering the line, but there’s only so much you can do to prevent re-sale,” said Campus Events Director Al Legault.

Legault said tickets were sold up to five at a time so students who were in class or unable to make it to Compass could still get into the show, and that the tickets were only $25 because student fees already subsidize Campus Events’ operating costs as an MSU service.

“The stakeholders already pay into the service. We try to make sure everyone can get a chance to see our events at a reasonable price,” Legault added.

The Weeknd, which is the stage name of Abel Tesfaye, is from Toronto and has developed a loyal fan base. He is scheduled to perform at the popular Coachella Music and Arts Festival later this year.

Despite his large following, The Weeknd has only performed six shows to date live, according to Legault.

Legault said about 50 students who lined up were unable to get tickets.