#thetimeisnow

Save the Sil The Student Choice Initiative puts the Sil's funding in jeopardy

FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedin

The Student Choice Initiative has placed many students in a difficult position. How much choice is there when students are forced to compromise supporting student services so that they can save money to mitigate the consequences of OSAP funding cuts and increased financial stress, or vice versa?

The answer is that there isn’t much choice, and unfortunately, it’s still one that students across Ontario will have to make.

The Silhouette has been deemed a non-essential service under the Ontario Government’s Student Choice Initiative, putting our funding in jeopardy. As McMaster’s independent student newspaper, we have made a commitment to providing a platform for student voice, expression, criticism and celebration for 90 years.

As students make decisions about which fees to opt-out of, we ask that our McMaster community take into consideration the effects their choices will have on services.

Ontario government releases Student Choice Initiative guidelines | Next year, students will be able to opt-out of paying for MSU clubs and services

In the wake of the Student Choice Initiative | As the school year gets into full swing, clubs are preparing for the financial impacts of the Student Choice Initiative

Vital services, campus activities at risk as Mac students choose what fees to pay | CBC News

The fate of many of McMaster University’s clubs hangs in the balance over the next week as students decide whether to fund the clubs and other student activities. Student leaders say the process endangers important student services and could fundamentally change the nature of student life. From Sept.

Comments

Share This Post On

Author: Razan Samara

Razan's passion for student journalism began when she picked up her first copy of the Sil. Since then, she's been the Arts & Culture Reporter, Arts & Culture Editor and Online Manager. When she's not in the Sil's dungeon office, you'll likely find her working in the community or grabbing a bite at the Hamilton Farmer's Market.