Rugby sinks against an undefeated Queen's squad

Laura Sinclair

Although the Marauders lost against the undefeated Queen’s Gaels in Kingston, Ont. on Oct. 5, the game was not at all bad for the Maroon and Grey contingent that gave the Gaels a run for their money.

The Marauders knew what they were up against at the Gaels home turf on the Saturday afternoon, so they made sure that they did not make any mistakes to hand the home team the win.

accutane dosages

“We knew that we were going to be in tough against Queen's and so there was a large emphasis placed on doing the simple things right,” said Marauder captain, Andrew Ferguson.

“Against a team like that, one mistake can cost you the game and so we could not give them any extra motivation or momentum to work with.”

The Marauders got to the lead in the first couple of minutes of the game, with a penalty kick. But their lead was short-lived, as the Gaels then scored a try and a successful conversion.

The Tri-colour team began to extend their lead with multiple conversions and tries, but the Marauders narrowed the lead after the McMaster’s Cam Stones scored a try and Ferguson made the conversion shortly after.

In the second half, the Marauders began to make a comeback that Ferguson was very proud of.

“In a game where we were outscored heavily in the first half, I think that the boys showed a ton of heart in mounting a comeback in which we were evenly scored in the second half,” said Ferguson.

McMaster’s Richard Ormrod scored a try, and Ferguson made the conversion once again.

After the Gaels scored another try and a conversion, the Marauders Cam Stones scored his second try of the game, and Andrew Ferguson made the third and final conversion for McMaster.

But the Marauders could not compete with the undefeated team, that made multiple scoring plays in the last half - brought them to a score of 50-24.

The next three games of the season will be very important for the Marauders, as they will be the make or break point for the team.

“These last few remaining games are crucial for our seeding going into the playoffs. If we win-out the season, this will give us a bit of momentum behind us and hopefully give us a chance to iron out the last few kinks within our play,” added Ferguson.

The Marauders will be look to rebound in their next game this on Oct. 11, when they will play the Laurier Golden Hawks in Waterloo, Ont.