Rookie puts Mac back on form

Brandon Meawasige           

Assistant Sports Editor

Prior to taking the court for last Wednesday’s game against the Guelph Gryphons, the men’s basketball team had lost three games in a row, a streak that brought into question their ability to contend with the best of the OUA west.

With the season hanging in the balance head coach Amos Connolly appealed for his team to maintain their confidence, even in the midst of an untimely struggle.

Enter Adam Presutti.

The rookie point guard enjoyed a breakout performance, while demonstrating veteran confidence, against the visiting Gryphons scoring a career-high 27 points in an 82-74 home victory.

“He made very good decisions, held on to the ball and made free throws, that’s a point guard performance that we need.” Connolly said of Presutti’s performance.

The coach’s emphasis on confidence appeared to be paying dividends for the maroon and grey.

By taking over the game and helping his team to a much-needed win, Presutti simultaneously provided a glimpse into his bright future and positive outlook for the remainder of the season.

Hitting the road once more on the weekend, the Marauders travelled to Waterloo Saturday to take on the Warriors.

In this contest it was not one player taking over the game. Instead five McMaster players reached double digits in scoring spreading the ball with 20 assists as a team.

The strength in the backcourt remained a prevalent factor with third year veteran guard Victor Raso scoring a team-high 18 points chipping in six rebounds and four assists. Presutti also had solid outing, adding 10 points and three assists of his own.

The two guards have developed an on court chemistry in which Raso has taken the first year under his wing.

“Victor is a great teacher and Adam is a great student. One thing that is necessary for leadership to succeed is for fellowship to be established. Adam is learning a lot, as a result of this and it is just a reminder of his bright future,” said Connolly of his Backcourt.

The team efforts yielded a favorable 89-70 result as well for the Marauders, improving their record to 11-5 with their second straight win. Previously Coach Connolly had lamented about his team’s success after half time, a deficiency that has proven to be crucial in a couple of the key losses this season.

“They really took what we said at half time on Saturday and put it on the floor. We talked about increased defense, increased intensity and overall increasing the tempo.” Said the coach of his team’s weekend effort.

“We played the style of basketball we wanted to play in the second half of that game, we really opened it up, which is in part because our defense created great opportunities on offense.” Continued Connolly.

Currently sitting tied for third in the OUA West with six games remaining on the schedule, McMaster needs to finish strong in hopes of obtaining home court advantage for the playoffs.

Of the six remaining games, four are against teams that Mac has yet to face this year, the Western Mustangs and Laurier Golden Hawks. Western has struggled this season currently sitting six games below .500 with a record of 5-11.

Laurier on the other hand, is tied for second place with a record of 14-2 and will be a true test for the Marauders. “The games against Laurier are definitely a measuring stick for us.” Said Connolly this week.

“They are fifth in the country and there is a reason for that. Laurier knows their strengths and weaknesses and don’t try to do too much.” Evaluated Connolly of the upcoming key matchups that will give the team a chance to prove that they can contend in the OUA West before the post season.

“I don’t think anyone questions that momentum is moving in the right direction for us right now, but we can’t take that for granted. The future looks bright, but by the same token it is easy to get caught up and think that is going to come automatically.” Said Connolly before February 1 game against the Brock Badgers.

With a chance to bring their win streak to three in a row, the game had a stage set both figuratively and literally as McMaster organized the “Pack this house” initiative to have Burridge Gymnasium filled with screaming fans in hopes of harboring a strong home crowd.

See our Wednesday round up for coverage of the “Pack this House” game against Brock.