[REVIEW] Emile Haynie - We Fall

Michelle Yeung

After a messy breakup, Emile Haynie found solace in a makeshift studio in Los Angeles’ Chateau Marmont. He stayed in his favourite room, where he says the light between 3 and 6 p.m. was “unbelievably perfect.” From the depths of this perfectly lit room emerged We Fall, his debut solo album that details every stage of a relationship – from falling in love to falling out of it – with hypnotizing finesse.

A veritable “super producer,” Haynie is a Grammy-winning studio virtuoso who has collaborated with artists like Kid Cudi, Eminem, Kanye West, Bruno Mars and Lana Del Rey. This is the man who is responsible for hits like Kanye’s “Runaway” and Del Rey’s “Summertime Sadness.” Now, Haynie is focusing his attention on his own record that includes guest appearances from Lykke Li and Father John Misty.

Each track on We Fall tells a different part of the same story, but they’re all are tied together by a common thread of simple flourishes that evoke poignant reflection. The tracks all share gorgeous arrangements and well-crafted lyrics that convey the elation, rejection, resentment, and acceptance which accompany the stages of relationships. Overall, Haynie crafts a beautiful soundscape with a mix of psych-pop beats and unexpected synth hooks, all while maintaining a variability in his songs that keeps the album refreshing and true to its nature as an auditory representation of human relationships.

Some have criticized We Fall for having too many voices and little cohesion throughout the record. While the placement of Randy Newman’s grandiose “Who To Blame” after Lykke Li’s spacey “Come Find Me” seems to distract from the overall flow, it actually fits with the essence of the album. No relationship is homogenous in tone; it is a combination of two voices that have differing opinions. If all songs were forlorn and cinematic, just as if a relationship lacked occasional disagreement, life would be dull. The variability in styles and artists gives a refreshing and accurate portrayal of the roller coaster relationship that inspired this album.

Although the album is exemplary overall, there are a couple of standout tracks. Examples include “Come Find Me,” featuring Lykke Li and Romy Madley Croft of the xx, a chilling song with lush melodies and haunting vocals, as well as Lana Del Rey’s “Wait For Life,” an orchestral ballad that emulates a relatable vulnerability. The highlight, though, is the Charlotte Gainsbourg/Sampha/Devonté Hynes co-production with St. Vincent, “A Kiss Goodbye.” It is an utterly breathtaking song, one that makes you ache with its echoing refrain of, “did it ever occur that you forgave yourself before I did?” It is dream-like, and the emotional build-up almost makes you a little queasy from the tugging on your heartstrings.

We Fall is a collaborative and musical triumph, one that takes you through the ups, downs and in-betweens of relationships. Haynie reveals that falling (in whichever direction of love) is frustrating and difficult and dark – but can also be worth it if the light hits the room at the right time of day.