[REVIEW] Diving into Outlander

By: Nimra Khan

When you think of Scotland, what usually comes to mind? I know, I know: kilts and bagpipes. I used to be on the same page. Thankfully, the recently released Outlander TV show, has begun to shine some new light on our highland cousins. When I first heard of Outlander, it was for its amazing openness to the independence of a woman in a world of men, and how the show was promised not to shy away from a woman enjoying sex--without repercussions. But mostly I thought: "Scottish history and time travel? What more could I ask for!"

Outlander follows the story of Claire Beauchamp - a woman who was a nurse during the Second World War - as she travels through Scotland with her husband Frank Randall. During their visit to a Scottish town, Claire is transported back in time to 1743 Scotland opening up a world of possibilities. The show is based on the book series by Diana Gabaldon, originally published in 1991; because of this, it already had a huge fan following. I recently finished the book myself, and the show really does well to mould itself to the original. In particular, Claire is a refreshingly independent, realistic, and strong female character, helping to make Outlander so appealing. Whether it's nearly getting raped, or almost killed for being a spy, Claire is a fighter. Or, as they would call her in the show, a Sassenach (an English person, an outsider, someone who doesn't belong).

I thought it was a weird coincidence that, at the same time that the Scottish independence vote was happening, Outlander had reached a climax of the Scottish versus the British. While most Scots have voted "no thanks" to independence now, it really makes me wonder how Scotland and England came to stand at such different sides.

Despite the educational aspect of this story, Outlander definitely has sex appeal. Shocking, I know. Other than Claire's first husband Frank, there comes Claire’s love with Jaime Fraser (a Scottish Highlander). Ladies, this one hunk is really enough to get you watching. But to all the guys, I promise there is something for everyone. With the mid-season finale having just finished at eight episodes, now is the time to catch up. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to learn some Scottish Gaelic.