Restaurant review: Charred

Amanda Watkins

Serving up BBQ chicken and a personally renowned piri piri sauce, Charred is one of a few Hamilton restaurants devoted to the art of chicken.

We headed to Charred on a weekday at lunchtime and it was bumping. The restaurant’s twenty-customer size was packed with a line going out the door. It was a bit of a wait but we were thoroughly entertained watching the chicken grill in their open-concept kitchen and eavesdropping on conversations echoing across their high ceilings and exposed brick walls. Unfortunately we ended up waiting for a half hour before being seated, or even being talked to, but we ended up with a window seat looking onto the slightly dingy but still charming James Street North.

We ordered the “Charred Sandwich” ($8) which was pulled chicken on a bun with assorted vegetables and aged cheddar. It was generously sized with a really tasty ciabatta bun, but the vegetables were uncooked and cold, the chicken was weirdly room temperature, and the cheese was pretty much non-existant. They also ran out of roasted potatoes so it came side-less, which was a bummer.

We also ordered a regular-sized house poutine ($7) with added shredded chicken on top ($3). The cheese curds were doused in piri piri sauce, which gave the normally bland dish a unique flavour. It was really tasty and once again, a totally massive serving that could easily feed two people.

Contrary to our long wait in line, our food was at the table with fifteen minutes, and the service was friendly and familial. They even have framed vintage family photos on the wall that evoke a homey and nostalgic feel.

Charred is in an easy to access location, for both drivers and commuters, and serves a variety of dishes with their signature BBQ’d chicken that is grilled fresh throughout the day.  Their menu has more sit down prices, but they also prepare whole chickens for takeout at a reasonable $14.

Charred produces Swiss Chalet-superior chicken and an accessible location for wandering students. They understand the art of chicken.