RECIPE: Summer Cookie S’mores

Sarah OConnor
July 3, 2014

Nothing quite says summer like the gooey deliciousness of s’mores. But sadly, it isn’t possible to go camping every weekend for your favourite summer treat, and your neighbours will most likely call the fire department if you make a bonfire in your backyard.

So avoid the fire hazard and still get your favourite summer treat from the comfort of your own home! After all, what’s better than s’mores? Cookie s’mores!

What you’ll need:

8-inch baking pan

½ cup butter

¾ cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

¾ cup graham cracker crumbs

1 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp salt

¾ cup chocolate chips

1 cup of marshmallow crème

Directions:

1) Preheat your oven to 350° and grease your baking pan.

2) Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then add the egg and vanilla to the mixture and beat together. Stir in flour with graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt into the butter mixture.

3) Split the dough in half, pressing half of the dough into the greased pan.

4) Spread marshmallow crème on top of the dough and scatter the chocolate chips on top of the marshmallow crème and dough.

5) Scatter bits of the remaining hald of the dough over the chocolate chips and carefully press into an even layer.

6) Bake your cookie s’mores for 30 – 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a rack and cut into bars (makes 16 bars).

And don’t forget to be creative with this recipe! Instead of buying graham cracker crumbs you can just as easily buy graham crackers to smash to make the crumbs! Same goes with the chocolate chips and marshmallow crème. Instead of chocolate chips try peanut butter chips, mint chips, or whatever your favourite chocolate bar is (Note: the bigger the chocolate bar the longer the baking time, only by a few minutes). Instead of marshmallow crème, buy marshmallow’s (any flavour) and melt them yourself (please don’t microwave the marshmallows, things will get messy fast!)