Recipe: Red wine pasta with radicchio salad

Amanda Watkins

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, having wine-infused pasta on your holiday menu is a great suggestions for both couples and singles alike. If you’re planning on cooking a romantic, homemade dinner for your partner, this recipe designed for two will have the perfect balance of well-loved carbs and spirited spirits. Or if you’re planning on staying in solo and binge-watching Season 2 of House of Cards, not only will this recipe accompany your Netflix queue well, but the leftover wine will have you wishing everyday was Valentine’s Day. Follow this simple recipe for a meal that will please the masses.

Ingredients:

For pasta:

-       Roughly 2 cups of pasta (Preference for penne, rigatoni, or other medium-sized varieties)

-       2 cups red wine (opt for Lake & River Series River Rock Red VQA, for an inexpensive, fruity, Canadian choice)

-       1 cup water

-       1 cup feta cheese (optional, for garnish)

For salad:

-       1 head radicchio

-       2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

-       1 tbsp olive oil

-       ½-1 cup black olives, chopped

-       1 large tomato, diced

Directions:

1)   Combine water and wine in a pot and bring to a boil. If you’re planning on making a larger serving two portions of wine to one portion of water should do the trick. Add pasta and let boil for around 10 minutes, or until pasta reaches your desired tenderness.

2)   While your pasta is boiling, chop your radicchio and mix in a large bowl with your vinegar and oil as a dressing.

3)   Once your radicchio is well coated, add in your chopped olives and tomatoes and mix.

4)   Combine your pasta mixture and salad in a bowl and crumble your feta cheese on top as a garnish.

Photo from Stories from Emona