Quinlan will get a chance to play for Alouettes

Sam Colbert
May 8, 2012

Kyle Quinlan celebrates the Marauders' Vanier Cup victory in November.

McMaster quarterback Kyle Quinlan has signed a two-year deal with the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes. He’ll get a chance to crack the team’s roster this spring.

Quinlan led the Marauders to the Vanier Cup last November, beating out the Laval Rouge et Or to capture the school's first national championship. He was named MVP of the Yates Cup, Uteck Bowl and Vanier Cup.

The star quarterback will compete for the third-stringer job with Montreal, hoping for the chance to play behind starter Anthony Calvillo and backup Adrian McPherson. He has another year of eligibility with Mac, so should he not make the cut with the Alouettes, he could be back with the Marauders. Much of the core Vanier Cup-winning team would return in Maroon and Grey next year if that were the case.

Quinlan, who many speculated would have a CFL future after last autumn's championship run, was overlooked in last week’s CFL draft, allowing him to negotiate with any of the league's eight teams in search of an opportunity to play professionally.

Calgary Stampeders backup Brad Sinopoli is the only Canadian quarterback currently on any CFL roster.

On Tuesday, the Al's signed a second Canadian quarterback, Kyle Graves of the Acadia Axemen, who will also compete for a roster spot with the team. The Marauders beat the Axemen in the Uteck Bowl prior to their Vanier Cup victory.

The 23-year old Quinlan is continuing to serve out the one-year probation following his discharge after an incident at TwelvEighty last year, for which he was initially charged with one count of assault and two counts of assaulting a police officer.