Post-graduation paranoia

insideout

Cassandra Jeffery 

Assistant InsideOut Editor

Every year a birthday marks a miniscule milestone in life compared to what grand scale accomplishments are on the horizon. A celebration is a necessity, yet some of us cannot help but loathe the idea that we are one birthday closer to graduation and one year closer to the daunting reality of life.

We’ve been through something similar once before. The transition from high school to university is both a frightening and invigorating experience.

The academics are more challenging and the responsibilities are greater, but there’s freedom, independence and the chance to make lifelong friendships.

Once the fear subsides and the confidence prospers, the undergraduate lifestyle becomes a fantastic experience.

Unfortunately, it is also short-lived. Suddenly, you’re in your senior year at McMaster, desperately trying to recount for the last three or four years of your life. Somewhere between the exams and the parties, we find ourselves searching for a post-graduation plan. The task becomes overwhelming, our confidence slowly dwindles, and the panic begins to ensue.

Whether you’re applying to grad school, looking for a job, or completely unsure of what to do after, the thought of leaving the safe confines of McMaster University can be difficult.

The problem with this pessimistic logic, that a successful post-graduation transition is unattainable, is that most of us easily buy into to this silly belief. “You have to change the focus from scary to exciting,” says career services, liaison and study abroad coordinator for the faculty of Humanities, Rowena Muhic-Day.

Changing your attitude will certainly alter your outlook. View post-graduation as an adventure, conduct some research on various options, and work towards realistic goals.

You have to “start by thinking big,” says Muhic-Day, and eventually narrow down your topic through research. Once you have an idea, begin by fostering what skills you have to offer and what abilities certain jobs require.

Time is often a hindrance for students. Nearing our final years at McMaster, we all have deadlines and GPAs to maintain, which is why at such time periods excellent prioritizing skills come into play. If your future is important enough, then you’ll find the time to create a post-graduation strategy and you’ll learn to use the resources offered on campus.

McMaster offers various workshops for students in the careers and services department, from resume critiquing to career conversations with professionals.

Students often become nervous when confronted with the question, “what are your plans after grad?” Some of us have no idea while others have a pre-determined path they must see through. As students, we’ve never been reassured that it’s okay not to have a plan for the future.

While it’s important to begin planning now, changing your mind is natural and completely okay.

“It’s not a locked door,” says fourth-year psychology student Ryan Janssen. We have to discard the notion that whatever we do after graduation is the be all and end all. Obviously finding a career that will be financially sustaining is important, but our society is fixed on the notion that a successful life is defined by the dollar amount on your pay check.

The pressure of wealth coincides with the pressure to find something worthwhile post-graduation. In reality, our precious energy should be directed into planning out a future that will be constructive, but also make us happy.

“It almost doesn’t matter what exactly it is that you’re going off to do after university, as long as it’s constructive in some way and that’s going to be different for different people,” says Muhic-Day.

Whether you’re interested in applying for grad school, traveling the world, or you’re simply not quite sure what the future holds, it’s always a good idea to start your post-graduation plan now.

A new chapter of life is bound to begin at some point, but it’s up to you to make sure that you have the ambition, determination, and motivation in order to successfully transition from your undergraduate education.