Polls open for Student Representative Assembly election

Tyler Welch
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

The Student Representative Assembly elections opened their online polls on 8:00 a.m. Thursday, March, 12 and will stay open until Thursday, March 13 at 5:00 p.m.

During this election time, full-time students will vote to fill 31 seats of the MSU’s legislative body.

Those 31 seat-holders will then vote in the three vice-presidents that will join Teddy Saull in filling the Executive Board that makes up the remaining four seats of the SRA.

Emails will be sent to students via their McMaster email account with a secure link to the online voting system.

A plurality system is used in SRA elections, rather than the preferential system used for the MSU Presidential election. This means that humanities students will receive four votes each (one for each seat) and the four candidates, of the seven in the contention, with the highest number of votes will be elected.

While most faculties contain many candidates, leading to competitive races, the Faculties of Nursing, Kinesiology and Arts and Science received only enough nominated candidates to fill their seats, so all candidates will be acclaimed as members of the SRA. The Faculty of Engineering only received nominations for five candidates despite being allotted six seats. All five nominees will also be acclaimed without a vote being cast in their name.

Graphic by: Ben Barrett-Forrest / Multimedia editor