Peter George awarded for educational contribution

news
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

Alex Rockingham & Karianne Matte

Silhouette Interns

The Council of Ontario Universities has honoured former McMaster President Peter George with the David C. Smith Award.

The award is granted to those who have worked to improve education and research.

Bonnie Patterson, the council’s president, described him as “a passionate leader,” who “transformed McMaster University with his focus on excellence in teaching and research and his vision for internationalizing the student experience on campus.”

Patterson also commended him for being a staunch advocate of the advancement of research during his tenures on the Council of Ontario Universities and the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.

George, who retired in 2010 after serving three terms as the University’s president, has also been awarded the Order of Canada, the Order of Ontario and honorary degrees and honours from numerous universities in Canada and abroad.

At his celebratory dinner, George described the award as a “great honour,” and said that he enjoyed working with the students, and faculty of the University.

The award itself is named after the late Dr. David C. Smith, a Mac alumnus who contributed to both scholarship and public policy regarding university education. Dr. Smith, who passed away in 2000, had a very strong connection to McMaster University.

While completing his undergraduate degree at McMaster in the early ‘50s, Smith served as Marmor Editor and MSU president.