Organic foods worth the cost

insideout

Daniel Lewandowski

The Silhouette

We’ve all been to the grocery store and have had dilemmas on what to buy. Some of these concerns have been with brand, some with price, but then there is the battle of whether to purchase organic foods or not.

The term ‘organic’ refers to foods that are produced using methods that do not involve the use of synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers, do not contain genetically modified organisms, and are not produced using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives.

We always ask ourselves whether or not to purchase these foods because they are deemed to be healthier, but there is also an increase in price, which usually turns most consumers away.

But is organic food really that good for us? Are there more positive implications of buying and eating organic food today?

Prior to chemcial pesticides the majority of food produced was organic.

It wasn’t until the 20th century that we saw chemical fertilizers and pesticides being used in the food we eat.

Organic food came into play around the time of the late 1940s in response to the industrialization of agriculture known as the “Green Revolution”.

This is when the motto of “know your farmer, know your food” came into play.

Foods that are said to be organic must be free of artificial food additives, and must be processed with fewer artificial methods, such as food irradiation and genetically modified ingredients.

The use of pesticides is still allowed, as long as they are not synthetic.

Not only is organic farming better for the soil, but it is also better for the human population and our health.

In a recent study, scientists have found that organic vegetable soups contain almost six times as much salicylic acid than non-organic soup.

Salicylic acid is known as the main ingredient in aspirin, which helps fight the hardening of arteries and bowel cancer.

It is naturally produced in plants as a defense against stress and disease.

Organic soups contained an average of about 117 nanograms per gram of salicylic acid, while non-organic ones displayed levels of about 20 nanograms per gram.

Recent studies in the U.S. have shown that organic foods contain more nutrients than non-organic foods.

Scientists investigated into the nutrient levels of organic and regular foods, in 41 different comparisons.

The only negative implications of organic food can be seen as availability and price.

Sometimes it may be hard to find different types of organic foods in smaller grocery stores, while normal fruits and vegetables will always be present there.

The other main concern for most consumers is the price of organic food. It’s relatively more expensive for organic products and this is a major reason why consumers are turned away.

Why pay $3.99 for a couple stalks of organic broccoli when you can get the regular ones on special for $1.49? It is also less common for organic products to go on sale or special, since they require more time to produce.

There have been many reasons why organic foods are better for the environment and for humans alike.

From its vast importance in helping out the environment with soil and diversity in wildlife, to containing more nutrients and helping to helping fight cancer in humans, organic foods have had a great impact in the last 60 years.

If people are willing to spend that extra bit of cash on food that is healthier and better for them, than it surely will go a long way in allowing them to live happy and longer lives.