Olympian Lumsden returns to Mac

Alexandra Reilly

With the Marauder football program reaping extra success over the past couple of years, they can now add former football player Jesse Lumsden to their list of successes.

Not only did Lumsden play for the Marauders but he was also a member of the Canadian Olympic bobsled team.

Lumsden and his partner Lyndon Rush won the two-man World Cup championship and represented Canada at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, B.C. as well as the 2014 winter games in Sochi, Russia.

The former Hec Crighton trophy winneris returning to the McMaster campus to speak at the 17th annual Marauder football Gala Dinner, which will be held on May 1 in the McMaster Sports Hall.

Lumsden was blessed with much success during his time at McMaster as he received the Hec Crighton trophy for most outstanding player in Canadian University football in 2004.

He then continued on with his football career into the Canadian Football League where he was named CFL East Division All-star in 2007 as a member of the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

After some bouts with injuries his football career seemed to be over, but his athletic career only blossomed from there.

He made the transition to bobsled shortly after and has continued to move up the ranks within the Canadian National Program.

As a member of the Marauder football team, the annual football gala is one that players keep marked in their calendars.

All of the proceeds from this event go to the Athletic Financial Awards (AFA) for Marauder players.

The evening includes a silent auction and the important presentation of the McMaster High school Coaching Achievement Award.

This award is presented annually to a coach selected from the Hamilton, Halton, Haldimant and Niagara Regions, which recognizes their dedication within coaching at the high school level.

Nominations for the award can be made by contacting Jon Behie and can be made at the McMaster football office located on the second floor of DBAC.