Now is the time to learn about Student Services

admin

By Elizabeth DiEmanuele

With Fall Reading Break now over, we are officially halfway through the semester. Deadlines and stress levels are building – now is the time to take advantage of the many services available to support you during your time at McMaster.

As Gina Robinson, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Director of the Student Success Centre, says, “For many students academics and university life can understandably be overwhelming. What is important to know is that we have the resources to help you”. Learn about them and take advantage of the support.

One common thing that the Student Success Centre often learns from students is that they wish they knew about services on-campus sooner. “As Student Affairs professionals, one of our goals is to increase awareness that students are not alone. Whether it’s with academics, extra-curricular involvement, managing your spending, figuring out what’s next, or somewhere in between, we’re here to teach you the skills and support you during your time in University and afterwards,” says Gina.

Support services like the new Undergrad Writing Centre, career advising and counselling appointments, workplace integrated learning programs, the development of the career access program (CAPS) and the new global experience program enables the Student Success Centre to work with students and alumni at many different stages of their University journey. The people in the Centre are one of your first points of contact as you transition to life at McMaster through programs offered during Welcome Week, and they are here for you after you graduate, providing alumni career services up to ten years post-graduation ensuring you are supported in your life after Mac. The Centre offer so much more, including international student services, the McMaster exchange program, and Mac’s Money Centre.

There are so many services available through the SSC, and yet, this is only one of many supports available for McMaster students. As Maclean’s university rankings recently shared, McMaster is a top five University in Canada. Student satisfaction played a key role in this ranking – this accomplishment for McMaster relies on how our staff, students, faculty, departments across campus, and the community come together to support McMaster University’s learning environment.

Building upon this momentum, students can learn about all the services available to support their success at the upcoming Spooktacular Student Services Fair. The fair is an opportunity for students to connect with services they may not know about, all in one place. Students will get to trick or treat to different tables, ask questions, play games, and exchange tickets for prizes. The event will take place on October 30 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in MUSC Marketplace.

To learn more about the Student Success Centre, visit the website.

You can also follow @MacSSC on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.