News in Brief: Oct. 4, 2012

Anqi Shen

Mohawk hits record full-time enrolment

Mohawk College opened its doors to a record number of full-time students this September. Preliminary enrolment numbers show that 13,048 full-time students registered this year at Mohawk, with 6,774 attending classes this semester. Mohawk media relations manager Jay Robb says collaborative programs between the two institutions are capped, with similar enrolment this year compared to last year. However, with about a third of Mohawk students wanting to pursue second degrees post-grad, more college students may be paying a visit to McMaster’s campus in the near future.

Ministry seeks feedback on education reform

The Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities has asked students to respond to minister Glen Murray's proposed reforms on post-secondary education in the discussion paper entitled "Strengthening Ontario's Centres of Creativity, Innovation and Productivity." Sept. 30 was the last day for student governments including the MSU to draft written responses. Responses will be made publicly available this month. Watch for an online update on the critical responses by the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) and Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations (OCUFA).

Mental Health Innovation Fund launched

The Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities announced that a $7 million per year fund will be established for mental health support on campuses. The fund, available until 2015, will identify gaps in current mental health support services, promote best practices and encourage liaisons between communities and on-campus mental health support. The ministry is accepting proposals from universities, colleges and student groups who wish to benefit from the fund this month. The Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance (OUSA) urged the ministry to set up such an initiative in earlier this year, and representatives say they're pleased with the result.

The announcement comes in the midst of McMaster's 'Stomp Out Stigma' week dedicated to raising awareness about mental health. In a 2009 National College Health Assessment conducted at McMaster, 50 per cent of students polled said they "felt overwhelming anxiety" and 56 per cent said they "felt things were hopeless."

McMaster First Nations Student Association engages community during annual Powwow

The McMaster First Nations Student Association hosted its 4th annual Powwow last Friday outside the John Hodgins Engineering Building. In addition to raising the profile of McMaster's First Nations community through performances by local singers and dancers of the Ojibwe tribe, the Indigenous Studies Program hosted a send-off for retired elder-in-residence Bertha Skye and professor Hayden King, who will leave for Ryerson. The two were recognized by the First Nations campus community with an honour dance.

Gift from Indian government unveiled at Gandhi Peace Festival at City Hall

A new statue of Mahatma Gandhi was presented at City Hall for the 20th annual Gandhi Peace Festival in Hamilton. The statue is a gift from the government of India and the Indo-Canadian community, and drew emotional responses from attendees of Saturday's celebration. McMaster University received a bust of Gandhi last October during Mac Peace Week. It is located outside President Patrick Deane's office in Gilmour Hall.