New season, new faces for Marauder basketball

August 9, 2012

Women's basketball coach Theresa Burns introduces new recruit Clare Kenney.

The 2012-13 men’s and women’s basketball seasons are looking promising for Marauder fans.With three recruits for both programs, McMaster is looking to build towards contention in the OUA Final Four.

The women’s team is looking to improve on their last season, which ended with 11 wins and 11 losses.

Coach Theresa Burns has her work cut out for her, as she has to integrate her three rookies into the physicality of the OUA level while also fixing the hole left but Taylor Chiarot, who led the team in minutes played per game (second in OUA) and points scored per game (fifth in OUA).

“I think some teams are going to look at us this year and think we’re down a notch because of losing Taylor Chiarot,” said Burns following a July 13 event to introduce the basketball recruits.

“When you lose your program’s all-time leading scorer, those are big shoes to fill, and I don’t think we can fill them.”

“We have to be a different team, and I think these players will fit nicely into that mould.”

During the basketball recruit introduction, Burns outlined the importance of adding Clare Kenney, a six-foot forward from Kingston, Ontario.

Kenney is expected to receive a lot of playing time in first year and make an impact immediately in the Marauder’s transition game.

“When she starts feeling comfortable and gaining some confidence at this level, she’s going to beat all the OUA posts up and down the floor,” said Burns.

“No one in the OUA is going to catch her in transition, and our job is to get the ball up there and find her.”

McMaster faces stiff competition in the OUA circuit, playing in the same division as the University of Windsor Lancers, who are defending CIS champions.

Coming off a Final Four appearance, the Marauders’ men’s basketball team is looking to make the proverbial leap and reach the CIS Championship tournament for the first time since 2006.

Coach Amos Connolly addressed a number of issues with the team during his recruitment by adding Rohan Boney.

The explosive forward will be bringing a new level of excitement to Burridge Gym this season with incredible speed and a nose for getting to the rim.

Boney is expected to contend for serious playing time immediately and bring the fast-paced style of Connolly’s offense to new heights.

Boney came to McMaster despite opportunities at other schools.

“It’s close to home, and my parents really liked it,” said Boney of his new school. “I can really see myself fitting in.”

Jason Quiring is another recruit of the Marauders, becoming the second member of the Quiring family to wear the Maroon and Grey on the hardwood.

As shown by his commitment in January, Quiring was a recruiting priority for the Marauder’s and adds more depth on the frontcourt.

With a good post game and perimeter skills above average for a 6’6” player, Quiring will be making the transition from the centre position to the power forward position.

During his recruitment, Coach Connolly likened Quiring to the graduated Cam Michaud.

As summer training camps ramp up and the school year nears, the Marauder programs are ready to contend for championship glory.

The rookies are hoping to make the most impact possible to help their team hoist the trophy.