MSU's Night Market madness

admin

Katherine George

Silhouette Staff

An assembly of students gathered in the McMaster University Student Center (MUSC) on Tuesday Oct. 11 for the McMaster Students Union (MSU) Market Night event. Beginning at 6 p.m. and running throughout the evening until 10:30 p.m., this event was organized by the MSU Diversity Services in collaboration with MacBEAT, McMaster Breakdancing club and the Canadian Asian Student Society (CASS).

Inspiration for the MSU Market Night was derived from East and South-East Asia, where a similar type of a street market takes place. The objective is an interactive shopping environment where individuals are able to purchase a variety of items from different vendors within the surrounding Hamilton area and to experience what McMaster has to offer.

Items that were available from the various vendors included eco-friendly clothing made organically with bamboo, jewellery, decorative household items such as colourful magnets, bright pillows, and pictures. In addition to some leisurely shopping, MSU services and student clubs hosted a variety of games where students had the chance to win prizes.

In addition, psychics, henna tattoo artists, and caricaturists were just a few of the many special activities available on this night. Although entrance to the event was free, attendees who purchased a Night Market Pass in advance were given free access to all of these special activities.

Not only were there special activities, but the MSU Night Market also gave individuals a chance to indulge in food, which was provided by Paradise Catering. Sticking to the theme of cultural diversity, the food was traditional Asian cuisine which included dishes such as spanakopita, samosas, bubble tea in addition to delicious deserts including fruit kabobs and tiramisu.

In between the shopping, games, activities and food, there were multiple performances that ran continuously throughout the night that helped to keep the energy alive. Performers included the McMaster Breakdancing Club and McMaster Marching Band, Chris the Magician, McMaster Poetry & Writing Society, Mac Beatboxing, School of Bhangra and many more.

Elora Bibby, a fourth year McMaster nursing student, said that “events like these are great because they encourage students to get involved, interact with new people and enjoy a chance to have fun while learning about cultural diversity.”

Numerous students who did not purchase a Night Market Pass were found curiously wandering into the event in order to catch a glimpse of the commotion. Attendees who did purchase a pass were present most of the night enjoying the diverse array of food and live performances.