MSU audit changes MUSC layout

By: Robert Moss

Over the summer, the McMaster Students Union conducted their space audit of all MSU services’ spaces to see what improvements could be made to help maximize efficiency and improve the student experience on campus.

The chosen auditing committee consisted of vice president (Administration) Shaarujaa Nadarajah, vice president (Finance) Ryan MacDonald, Ikram Farah, SRA member, and Madeline Locke, the MSU health and safety representative. Together, they were responsible for compiling recommendations on all MSU services.

Overall, the most notable change was the removal of the Elections Department and MSU Speaker offices. Given the seasonality of the services, they recommended the services use the MSU Committee room when need be and will be provided cabinet space to store files.

Other notable changes include the Student Health Education Centre moving into the MSU Maroons old office space in MUSC B111. The Maroons will no longer have an office, but will be allowed to use the MSU Committee room and be given cabinet space for their use. The move is intended to make room for the MSU’s newest service Maccess, which will take SHEC’s old office in MUSC 202.

When asked about the change, MSU Maroon’s PTM, Megan O’Brien, commented, “Overall it is disappointing to see our office go, it has been a part of the Maroons and is a space for students to ask questions and for the representative team to bond. I understand the need for space within the organization which is why coping with the issue has been easier.”

Originally, the MSU space audit report featured two implementation dates for SHEC’s move, one during fall reading week and one during the winter break. The two dates represent the difference in opinion between SHEC and Macccess on when the move should take place.

SHEC’S PTM Sutina Chou’s main concern was that  her volunteer staff, “are all students as well and they have other commitments and the extended duration [of a winter implementation] would give us flexibility and freedom.” She added that there would not be sufficient enough time for a promotional campaign to advertise the room change during one of their busiest parts of the year.

Maccess, on the other hand, has no permanent space of its own. The desire to move during reading week stems from wanting to get their service fully up and running as soon as possible.

Ultimately, the executive board chose the winter break implementation date.

“The committee felt that in order to not compromise any of the existing service operations and also to make this move as smooth as possible for all of our services, a January implementation would be the best one,” explained Nadarajah.

Feedback from the PTMs on the overall recommendations of the audit has been overwhelmingly positive.

“I think the space audit committee did a fantastic job with the whole organization of the process. It is difficult to reallocate space especially when everyone wants it,” said O’Brien. Many others also applauded the committee for their transparency and professionalism.

Despite some services not getting their ideal results, the consolidation of space from the audit will help create space for new services and give well-established ones a fresh start in new locations, with all of these changes aimed at strengthening the student experience at McMaster.