Mens rugby breaks down Brock

Laura Sinclair

Laura Sinclair

Senior Sports Editor

The Marauders rugby team held on to a lead against the visiting Brock Badgers on Sept. 28, and won the game with a score of 22-19.

The win was no easy task for Mac, as the Badgers got off to the first lead in the 18th minute of play when Brock’s Connor Fitzsimmons scored a try and a successful convert to make the score 7-0 for the Badgers.

Their early 7-0 lead was short-lived, however, as Marauders captain Andrew Ferguson scored a penalty kick five minutes later to narrow the score to 7-3, and the Maroon and Grey kept the momentum for the remainder of the first half.

Richard Ormrod scored the team’s first try, and Ferguson kicked through the convert, making the score 10-7 for Mac.

The second half did not start off well for the Marauders, after letting the advantage slip in favour of the Badgers with a try giving the visiting team a 14-10 lead.

But the Marauders were unstoppable in their home turf, and didn’t let the Badgers lead last long, as they regained control of the game, scoring 12 points in eight minutes of play.

Davor Stojanov scored a try for Mac in the 60th minute, and Ferguson added a try as well seven minutes later. The second convert made the score 22-14 for McMaster.

The Badgers were not finished yet, however, as they pressured the Maroon and Grey with only a couple minutes left in the game. They scored a try in the 72nd minute of play, which narrowed the score to 22-19 for Mac.

That was as close as the Badgers would get however, as the Marauders managed to hold their lead for the remainder of the game, and come out on top with a 22-19 final score.

Next up for McMaster will be a road trip on October 5th to Kingston, Ont. to visit the undefeated Queen’s Gaels. Kick-off will be at 1 p.m.