Men’s basketball team stumbles out of winter break

Jovan Popovic
April 5, 2022

C/O Markus Spiske, Rawpixel

After starting their season hot with a 5-1 record, the men’s basketball team has cooled off, going 5-4 since their return to the court

This year, the Marauders men’s basketball team has gone on an absolute tear. They started the season with a ridiculous record of five wins and one loss and were sitting with one of the top records in Ontario University Athletics. Upon returning from the winter break, the team has been unable to find that same level of success.  

l help us get back to where we want to be and get back to [winning] is just continuing to communicate, staying together as a team, playing tough on the defensive end, just being confident on offense [and] finding good shots instead of shots that we don’t need to take. Things of that nature will help us continue to win big games,” explained Lindo 

Tristan Lindo, a guard on the team, suggested that although the team appeared to be struggling on paper, they were still playing rather well, as recently they had been tasked with fending off some of the stronger teams in the league.  

“We had a pretty easy first half of the season. We have a harder second half. We got Brock, we got Windsor [and] Laurier — some tougher teams . . . I think the main thing that wil. 

In the second half they will have to face off against the Western Mustangs, Brock Badgers, Windsor Lancers, Waterloo Warriors and Laurier Golden Hawks. They remain the only team to have defeated the Badgers through 15 games.  

“I’m really confident in my team . . . I think we mesh very well together. We have a very talented team — a very deep roster. When we pull things all together I’m really confident in our chances. I think we’re one of the deepest teams in the country,” said Lindo. 

“I’m really confident in my team . . . I think we mesh very well together. We have a very talented team — a very deep roster. When we pull things all together I’m really confident in our chances. I think we’re one of the deepest teams in the country."

Tristan Lindo, Men's Basketball Team

The team led by star Jordan Henry, who was recently named OUA Athlete of the Week, will need to pull themselves together and play as a unit to ensure they are able to make waves in the playoffs as the season nears an end. With a strong team culture, the Marauders might just be able to. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaS0b8OF2ms/