Photo C/O @mac_rowing
Sometimes we forget beyond the “big” sports that McMaster has so much to offer when it comes to sports. There is a whole bunch of sports outside of football, basketball, soccer and volleyball that not only exist at Mac, but compete within the Ontario University Athletics league. One of these sports happens to be rowing! Get to know the McMaster Rowing team with these fast facts.
1. The Mac Rowing team has both a women’s and men’s team. Similar to sailing, they both compete for events in smaller groups that are awarded points for a group score. Mac’s team has both men and women who have competed at the national and provincial level.
2. They have open tryouts for all those who want to join the team at the beginning of each school year. Obviously, having rowing experience would be a plus, but who knows, maybe you have what it takes to be then next big thing in Canadian university rowing.
View this post on Instagram
2 days until novice tryouts! The first session is a drop in from 8-12 in Smith Gym (IWC) on Friday. Bring athletic clothing. No experience required! In the bow of this boat (pictured left) is Myma Okuda-Rayfuse, a former novice Mac rower and last year’s varsity MVP. Myma spent this past summer training for the FISU World University Championships in Shanghai, where she represented Canada in the women’s lightweight double. Myma will be training at the rowing club again this fall, so make sure to ask her for tips!
3. Both teams compete at an OUA sanctioned finals. The P.C. Fitz-James Trophy is presented to the overall men’s team champion, and the Mrs. W. Lathrop Challenge Trophy is presented to the overall women’s team champion. For McMaster, this championship just passed last weekend. Although the Marauders did not secure the banner this season, the University of Western Ontario won both the men’s and women’s championships this year, they still had a number of strong performances.
4. This past summer, recent Mac grad Myma Okuda-Rayfuse of the women’s team dawned the maroon and white to represent McMaster at the International University Sports Federation World University Rowing Championship in Shanghai.
View this post on Instagram
Myma and Alanna are now in Shanghai and are looking fast and fashion forward in their school unis as they gear up to race Friday! #rowmacrow⠀ ⠀ Reposting @mymsters:⠀ …⠀ "Repping the Alma Maters today at the FISU World University Rowing Championships! ⠀ Racing starts Friday morning! ⠀ @mac_rowing @geegeesrowing @mcmastersports"
5. Like most teams who are not governed by U Sports, Rowing Canada will host a university championship for university rowing teams across Canada. The McMaster teams will attend the upcoming one this weekend in Burnaby, BC on November 4-5. Follow them at @mac_rowing on Instagram and @rowingcanada on Twitter to stay updated.
[spacer height=”20px”][thesil_related_posts_sc]Related Posts[/thesil_related_posts_sc]