McMaster volleyball has resumed and they can’t stop winning 

Jovan Popovic

C/O Yoohyun Park

After heading into the break strong, both the men’s and women’s volleyball teams look well prepared, hitting the ground running 

After another stunning call by the Ontario provincial government to deem the Ontario University Athletics an amateur league (non-elite), many wondered what the future would hold for university athletes.  

The winter break was a lot of time off for many athletes, but when you factor in the additional month as a result of the lockdown, the rust really starts to come in play. Despite a hot start, McMaster's volleyball teams were amongst those who were feared to be affected by this, only having one week to practice before abruptly resuming their regular season schedule. 

“Obviously it's a big challenge, but all the teams are in the same boat. Dave has built a really good program, and all the pieces are in place. We’ve been working really hard this week, we’ll work hard next week, and hopefully we’ll be able to pick up right where we left off,” said Jordan Pereira, a member of the men’s team. 

Both the men’s and women’s team were able to get going in a hurry as a result of that hard work. Both Marauders teams downed the Western Mustangs in a pair of matchups bringing the men’s season record to a perfect seven wins and zero losses, while the women’s record improved to a strong five wins and two losses. 

With five games remaining in the schedule, the men’s team looks to finish strong with big aspirations on their mind. 

“Every year our goals stay the same; to secure as much home court advantage in the playoffs as we can and put ourselves in the position to win an OUA title and put ourselves in the best possible spot to win a national title,” said Pereira. 

Both teams play their next games on Feb. 17 against the Windsor Lancers, in Windsor.