McMaster University’s Year In Review

Neda Pirouzmand
Photo by Kyle West

Sept. 13, 2018

Ursula Johnson’s Mi’kwite’tmn (Do You Remember) art exhibit opened at the McMaster Museum of Art. Through three distinct spaces and public performances, she showcased Indigenous culture and the obstacles that it faces. 

Sept. 25, 2018

A series of break-ins concentrated in a short amount of time occurred near McMaster and the Westdale area. Eventually, police made an arrest on Feb. 15, 2019. 

Sept. 27, 2018

About two months after the city of Hamilton added colourful crosswalks at Sterling Street and Forsyth Avenue to honour Hamilton’s LGBTQIA2S community, white paint was found dumped all over it. The police attempted to investigate and the white paint was removed. 

Nov. 7, 2018

In March 2017, McMaster students voted in a referendum to approve the creation of the new Student Activity Building and expanded Pulse. The plans included a grocery store, study spaces, a multi-faith prayer space, and a nap room. Due to budgetary concerns revealed in February 2019, construction was delayed. The targeted completion date has been since moved to summer 2020. 

Oct. 17, 2018

As of this day, Canadians aged 19 or older could legally possess up to 30 grams of cannabis and purchase weed from regulated retailers. Andrea Farquhar, assistant vice president of McMaster communication and public affairs, revealed that students would only be allowed to consume cannabis in residence straight from a manufacturer-labelled container. This year will reveal how such rules and specifications will be enacted. 

Nov. 15, 2018

Doug Ford’s provincial government released a mandate that all publicly-assisted colleges and universities in Ontario submit a free speech policy by January 2019. This was unanimously opposed by the McMaster Students Union Student Representative Assembly . The SRA believed that the mandate was being used to censor dissent towards hate and bigotry. 

Jan. 17, 2019

Doug Ford’s provincial government announced their plan to reduce tuition by 10 per cent and make ancillary student fees optional. This ignited a conversation on how the funding of university organizations, clubs and services would be impacted. On Apr. 4, 2019, it was revealed that McMaster students would be able to opt-out of paying for MSU clubs and services. 

Feb. 1, 2019

Josh Marando is elected MSU president. Voter turnout for the 2019 McMaster Students Union presidential election reached the lowest that it has ever been since 2012. 

Mar. 14, 2019

Maroons members disclose accounts of sexual assault that occurred over the past year. This led to an investigation that is currently ongoing. 

McMaster women’s basketball team win their first national championship.

Mar. 19, 2019

Hundreds of McMaster community members mourned the victims of the Christchurch massacre. 

Mar. 21, 2019

McMaster men’s volleyball team lost in the consolation semifinals of the U Sports tournament. The McMaster women’s volleyball team missed the Ontario University Athletics playoffs for the first time since 2003-2004. 

Mar. 28, 2019

The federal government awarded $3.3 million in grants to 72 social sciences and humanities researchers at McMaster. 

Aug. 7, 2019

Marando issued a letter urging the SRA to revoke a new club’s status due to its alleged ties to white supremacy.