McMaster dominates weekend match

Over the weekend, the McMaster men’s soccer team hosted the Brock Badgers, a team looking for revenge after suffering a narrow loss at the hands of the Marauders.

But the Badgers would leave the Mac campus unsatisfied as McMaster gained their 8th win of the season with an impressive 4-0 victory.

The goal scoring would begin in the 25th minute after a header would rebound off of the Brock keeper and Paterson Farrell was in the right place to knock home his 6th goal of the season.

Farrell’s goal would not be the only score of the half for the Marauders.

Ryan Garnett would feed a through ball to Elliot Pecora and the second-year player would beat the Brock keeper to extend the lead to two goals. The Badgers would not challenge Mac’s goalkeeper Angelo Cavalluzzo, failing to register a shot in the first half.

The Maroon and Grey would also dominate the second half, with the scoring restarting in the 62nd minute.

Forward Mark Reilly would score his 7th of the season after a shot from Garnett from the top of the box rebounded off the hands of the keeper landed at Reilly’s feet.

Farrell would get his 2nd goal of the day in the 67th minute after a through ball set up the third year student for a one-on-one opportunity.

Farrell would make easy work of the opportunity, placing the ball in the low corner to extend McMaster’s lead to four.

Farrell and Reilly are now tied for 3rd place in the OUA scoring race, with 7 goals each.

With the win over Brock, Mac now has 24 points and sits in second place in the OUA West.

The Marauders have stiff competition ahead of them though, with the York Lions atop the table. The Lions also own the No.1 ranking in the country and remain the only squad to beat McMaster this season.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, the Marauders have two games at Ron Joyce Stadium. Their first game is on Friday, against the Laurier Golden Hawks, who sit in 3rd place.

McMaster played Laurier a week ago and produced a strong showing, beating the Hawks 3-0. With a win, the Marauders would all but secure at least a second place finish in the OUA West.

On Saturday, McMaster hosts the Waterloo Warriors who’ve only captured one victory through ten games of their 2012 season. The Warriors have struggled to defend this year, giving up 18 goals - 3rd worst in the OUA. The Mac offense should look to attack early and often to guarantee the result the Marauders need to try to catch the York Lions.

Both games kick-off at 3:15 p.m. at Ron Joyce Stadium.