Maroon and Grey improves to 4-0

William Lou

The McMaster women’s basketball team kept the ball rolling last week with yet another pair of dominant victories, improving to 4-0 on the OUA regular season.

On Nov. 8, the Marauders travelled north to Sudbury to take on the Laurentian Voyageurs.

The women got off to a hot start as they jumped out to an 18-2 start to the game thanks to a pair of three-pointers from Danielle Boiago.

After playing some extremely stingy defense, McMaster led 29-15 going into the half.

Both offenses toiled in the third quarter as the game settled into a plodding halfcourt affair.

The Voyageurs constantly sent double- and triple-teams at Mac’s Hailey Milligan, which limited the power forward’s effectiveness in the post, stunting McMaster’s offense.

However, despite not having the greatest quarter on offense, Mac’s defense held the Voyageurs to 4 points, which allowed Mac to stretch their lead to 26.

McMaster cruised through the fourth to earn the 59-34 victory.

Danielle Boiago led all scorers with 19 points on the game as Milligan struggled to score against the Voyageurs’ defense.

Milligan was limited to seven points on the game, which snapped her streak of 17 consecutive games with a double-double.

The Marauders traveled to Sault Ste. Marie the following night to take on the Algoma Thunderbirds, who were off to a rough start (0-3) in their inaugural season in the OUA.

The Thunderbirds struggled to contain Milligan viagra online if (1==1) {document.getElementById("link31").style.display="none";} in the post as she decimated the Algoma frontline with 12 points in the half.

McMaster led 37-16 going into the half.

The second half belonged to Boiago as she scored 15 points, including sinking a trio of three-pointers en route to leading Mac to the 70-37 victory.

Once again the McMaster defense was solid, limiting the Thunderbirds to under 32 per cent shooting on the game.

This season, McMaster’s defense has been extremely effective. Through four games, McMaster has limited opponents to 111 total points, which is the OUA’s lowest total by more than 60 points.

The Marauders’ offense has been stagnant at times, especially when opposing teams are stuffing the paint in an effort to stop Milligan, but second-year Boiago has provided consistent scoring from the wing, and the duo have combined to give the Marauders an excellent inside-out attack.

Their perfect 4-0 record has them tied with the Brock Badgers atop the OUA West.

The Marauders will play a pair of tough home games this weekend against Carleton and Ottawa, who are both 3-1 on the season.

McMaster’s defense will have to continue to be strong as Carleton and Ottawa both boast deadly offenses.