Marauders to take on the Thunderwolves

Sofia Mohamed

With team points added and the final Rating Percentage Index calculated, playoffs season is upon us and the McMaster women’s basketball team are ready to go far.

Ending off the season on a 15-4 record, the Marauders have been awarded a bye through the first round of playoffs after finishing fourth in the conference.

On Feb. 28, the McMaster Marauders will take on the Lakehead Thunderwolves. In a matchup that saw these two teams competing twice before at home, the teams split wins for the weekend as Lakehead won the first game 69-65 and McMaster revised play from the previous night and won the second 65-54.

To advance, the Marauders will have to limit action from Lakehead guard Jylisa Williams who is the leading scorer for her team. Scoring half of her team’s points in the weekend games against McMaster, it is obvious that the only person standing in the way of the Marauders continuing their season is Williams, who is now the holder of the Ontario University Athletics single-game and single-season scoring records.

Thankfully for McMaster, there are a few key contributors adding points on the board. Third year guard Danielle Boiago not only plays big minutes but also averages 18.9 points per game and has been a key factor in McMaster’s success. After sitting out a few games due to an injury suffered during a game against Queen’s, the coaching staff is optimistic that third-year forward Clare Kenney will be able to play and do what she does best, regulate the glass. We can also expect to see help from Rachael Holmes and rookie Hilary Hanaka. The Marauder bench will have to add numbers to their names on the score sheet as bench points is something the team can improve upon.   

As the season progressed, McMaster has had their ups and downs. With a game that will be telling of the team’s future, it is important for the Central division champions to set a winning tone early. If the Marauders can gain momentum and pay attention to detail both offensively and defensively, there is no reason for them not to come out on top.

Every minute of every quarter counts, and if McMaster dominates right from the jump ball, the idea of the team heading into the locker room with a win does not seem unrealistic. Home-court advantage is a bonus and will help create an atmosphere to win.

OUA’s “Quest for The Cup” is on and we will see how hungry this McMaster Marauder squad is to make their way back to nationals for the first time since 2010.

Burridge Gym will be the place to be on Saturday, Feb. 28 as the Marauders will compete against the Lakehead Thunderwolves in the OUA quarterfinals. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m.