Marauders succumb to No. 1 ranked Gryphons

Alexandra Reilly

Alexandra Reilly

Assistant Sports Editor

Despite an incredible effort from the Marauders on Sept. 28, their efforts were no match for the CIS top ranked Guelph Gryphons who unloaded a 44-27 victory on the McMaster crew.

The Marauders are now 2-2 on their season and tied with York for second overall in the OUA’s Russell Division rankings.

For the first time this season, Guelph was forced to battle back as the Marauders put up a hefty fight keeping the game close for 40 minutes. Senior winger Madolyn Vande Pol put forth an incredible effort scoring a team high ten point in the opening half.

Team Captain Cindy Nelles came out with a try helping McMaster head into the break only trailing the Gryphons by two.

The second half would show the Gryphons domination and showcase just why they are the No. 1 ranked squad. Guelph would pick up the pace and only expand the lead further out of McMaster’s grip.

Last week’s Athlete of Week, Stephanie Black scored a total of five points in the second half on a convert and penalty goal.

Cindy Nelles would once again solidify herself as a crucial leader to the squad as she commended them for their efforts and would only take this game as a learning opportunity to improve.

“I think that we have put forth a very good effort as a team and have really done a great job to improve during our very short season,” said Nelles.

“We have a whole lot of potential within the players that are committed to the program and I can see huge gains in the future if we can continue with our hard work ethic,” Nelles added.

Looking forward, Nelles is well aware of her role as team captain and understands the immense importance of their next three matches in securing them a play off spot.

“The next 3 games are the most important games of our season and my main focus as the captain is to ensure that the players remain focused on the team and team goals,” Nelles said.

McMaster will welcome the York Lions to Field F this weekend as they battle against the team, which they currently remain tied with for second place. Kick off is set for 12 p.m. on Sunday Oct. 6.