Marauders soccer hits the pitch

Scott Hastie
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

After one week of soccer action, McMaster’s men’s and women’s teams are off to a solid start.

The squad opened their season on the road, taking on the University of Waterloo Warriors. The men’s squad finished the game with a 3-1 win over the Waterloo team, led by 2011 Rookie of the Year, Gersi Xhuti with two goals in the second half.

The women’s team shutout the Warriors with a 2-0 tally, as goalkeeper Brittany Duffey got her first clean sheet of the season.

Both teams were successful in the home opener against the Windsor Lancers.

Emma Mangialardi scored the game winner for the Marauders, helping lift the team to a 3-1 victory.

Paterson Farrel knocked in two goals for the Marauders, as Mac would take down Windsor 3-1 in the home opener at Ron Joyce Stadium.

The Western Mustangs visited McMaster on Sunday, taking down the Marauder’s women’s squad but falling to the defending champion men’s team. The women’s loss was a frustrating one, with Mac unable to beat the Mustang defense despite many first half opportunities.

Coach Dino Perri’s squad was able to defeat the Mustang men 2-1, due to a second half surge that saw the Marauders comeback from a 1-0 deficit at the half. Mark Reilly put the game winner past the Western keeper in the 84th minute.

The teams take on the York Lions at Ron Joyce Stadium on Wednesday, starting at 6 p.m. with the women’s game, followed by the men’s match at 8:15 p.m.