Marauders run over Warriors in road victory

Scott Hastie

McMaster gave up the first touchdown of the game to the delight of the Waterloo crowd. The Warriors offense used a trick play to score six, but the shenanigans seemed to light a fire under the Mac defense, holding Waterloo to the lone touchdown at halftime.

The McMaster offense put up astronomical numbers, finishing with 768 total yards as a young Warrior defensive squad struggled to keep up with the Mac squad. The team did most of their damage on the ground, gaining 397 yards through the running game.

Jimmy Hill led the team with 15 carries for 130 yards and one touchdown. Mac’s younger running backs got in on the offensive assault too, with Wayne Moore, Kasean Davis and Kingsley Amankwaa each with a touchdown to their name.

Kyle Quinlan produced another elite performance, throwing 17-21 with 242 yards and two touchdown passes. Quinlan’s accuracy in the pocket opened up an opportunity for draw plays, which wore down the Waterloo defense and initiated a 44-0 run in the first half.

The defense looked solid, giving the alternating Waterloo quarterbacks fits in the backfield, forcing three interceptions and three sacks. The defensive corps helped put points on the board too, with linebacker Nick Shorthill returning one of the interceptions to the Waterloo end zone for six points.

The special teams for the Marauders struggled early and often. Punt returning was a concern, with multiple dropped catches from the unit.

Penalties continue to be an issue for the Marauders, drawing flags even with a huge lead. The team finished the game with 16 penalties for a total of 151 yards.

McMaster takes a road trip to Ottawa to take on the Gee-Gees on Saturday, looking to continue their undefeated season.