Marauders roll to final four

Brandon Meawasige

Assistant Sports Editor

By defeating the Windsor Lancers in Burridge Gymnasium this past weekend, the McMaster Marauders extended their winning streak to nine games, clinching not only a chance to pay in the final four but also a chance to compete for the national championship.

That chance, however, requires the upstart Marauders to head down the highway to Waterloo where they will play against the storied and CIS top-ranked Carleton University Ravens who have not lost a game this season.

To the Final Four, Mac head coach Amos Connolly brings with him a group of rookies that have impressed this year with their play on the court and development outside of the gym.

Guards Adam Presutti and Joe Rocca have received attention for their big play, leading the team in scoring on multiple occasions each. Going generally unnoticed until Saturday was the play of Aaron Redpath, a third rookie guard who has mad a contribution for the Maroon and Grey this season.

“He has done a very good job stepping up in Victor’s [Raso] absence, as has Joe Rocca. That was evident in the Windsor game. Both of them are getting a little more playing time because of the minutes that are available and I think in that game both of them capitalized on it. Aaron obviously made the biggest play of the game, arguably the play of the year in executing that steal,” said Connolly about the freshman.

With the Marauders leading by six points and just a minute to go in the game, Redpath came up with a steal that all but secured McMaster’s victory.

The absence of Raso, the third-year guard who is also the team’s emotional leader, has put the play of the three rookies under an even greater microscope. However, against a perennial powerhouse such as Carleton, one cannot help but think the Marauders would love to have Raso on the court for what is amongst the most important games in the history of McMaster’s basketball program.

“Looking at him not playing last Saturday, I think it drove him absolutely crazy. For him I think it was on the verge intolerable to not play in a game like that. Given this opportunity, that for us this is our biggest game that we have had and the biggest game of his career,” said Connolly of watching Raso on the bench for Saturday’s 77-67 victory of Windsor.

The coach quickly added “Concussions are something you have to be delicate with.”

With or without Raso, one thing is clear: the McMaster Marauders have proven to the entire conference that they can play basketball with their own physical and gritty style.

In the game against Windsor, the Marauders executed the team’s game plan, something Connolly hopes will translate into success against the top-ranked Ravens.

“Making sure there is a focus on being physical and getting boards, that’s going to be highlighted just as much if not even more on Friday,” he said.

The Marauders will tip off against Carleton as an underdog on Mar. 2 at 8 p.m. In sports, that can go one of two ways. A team can become inspired by their underdog status, but a team can also crumble underneath pressure and intimidation.

“For us it is trying to stay with what is working and focusing on ourselves,” said Connolly. “That being said, I stressed to them last night that my intention is not to lose to Carleton every year in the final four and feel like we have accomplished something.

“We want to play for a national championship, for us that means we have to win on Friday, Carleton can lose that game and get in with a wild card spot but we have to win. We are definitely playing that game with a mentality of putting our best foot forward to win; we are not playing that game with an “it’s okay if we lose” attitude,” said Connolly of his team’s outlook.

Win or lose on Friday, the Marauders have stormed onto the national scene this year with their surprise play and youthful confidence. Losing to the defending national champions would be no shameful conclusion to what has been a bright outlook on the future this season.

That being said, a win of this magnitude against the Ravens can do wonders for a budding program: just ask the Lakehead Thunderwolves, who won their first OUA title over the Ravens in last year’s Wilson Cup at McMaster.